Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default How To Build A Tin Can Waveguide WiFi Antenna

stumbled on this earlier today. don't know if it really works, but i have to admire the ingenuity
How to build a tin can waveguide antenna
Old June 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow.. that would be cool if that actually works.. And maybe it does
Old June 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes, they work. Pringles chip tube/can are the best things for beginner waveguide projects. Google for "cantenna" to find many more projects like this.
Old June 15, 2008, 04:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, the one's I've seen have been with pringles cans. Supposedly work fairly well at extending range but solely directional.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 19, 2008, 03:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Most passive antennas that improve range are directional but that can be an advantage. I saw a really cute trick with a biquad patch antenna. The way a biquad works the signal is a cone about 90 degrees wide emanating straight out from the front of the antenna. The guy put the antenna in the peak of his roof and pointed it straight down. This way the areas of his house where he would want to use the wi-fi (office, living room, front porch) were covered but it was impossible for the neighbours or any passerby on the street to get enough signal to connect.

If you are going to experiment with antennas be careful about power output. There are strict laws about that. If you install a permanent installation that breaks them you may wind up with a visit from the feds.