Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2008, 03:43 AM
MVP

Default Thermal Compound Removal Help

I'm going to be removing the thermal compound off my CPU and Chipsets to re-apply a better thermal compound and install better heatsinks.

I would like to make sure the process goes smoothly as possible, so I would appreciate if someone could post tips or help on the process.

I bought Artic Clean to remove the thermal compound. Is it ok to use q-tips to remove the thermal compound after applying Artic Clean? And could Artic Clean ruin a chip if it runs off the side of the chip and onto the other side of the chip?

Also whats the best method of applying a perfect layer of thermal compound on CPU's and Chipsets? Some web sites suggest applying a pea size amount of thermal compound to the centre of the CPU or Chipset and mount the heatsink. Others suggest you apply a pea size amount of thermal compound to the centre of the CPU or Chipset and then use a credit card to spread the compound evenly on the chip. Whats the best method for applying a perfect layer of compound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 19, 2008, 05:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
I would like to make sure the process goes smoothly as possible, so I would appreciate if someone could post tips or help on the process.
I bought Artic Clean to remove the thermal compound. Is it ok to use q-tips to remove the thermal compound after applying Artic Clean?
Well, yes, but ideally you would want to scooch around a carpeted floor in some wooly socks first then use your finger. You see, the oil on your skin gets under the thermal compound and helps to remove it and the static electricity applied when your finger hits the IHS slightly changes the chemical makeup of thermal compound also allowing for easier removal.
Don't worry about the static electricity frying the CPU though, the electricity all goes into changing the thermal compound and so none ever gets to the die of your CPU. The more electricity, the more the compound changes and the easier removal is.

Quote:
Also whats the best method of applying a perfect layer of thermal compound on CPU's and Chipsets? Some web sites suggest applying a pea size amount of thermal compound to the centre of the CPU or Chipset and mount the heatsink. Others suggest you apply a pea size amount of thermal compound to the centre of the CPU or Chipset and then use a credit card to spread the compound evenly on the chip. Whats the best method for applying a perfect layer of compound?
Now, for this you should ejaculate onto your CPU and hand before applying anything because ejaculate will neutralize any skin oils present from people fondling your CPU. The reason you also do it on your hand is so you can work with the CPU without having to worry about any nasty skin oils. Just use your shaven posterior to spread the thermal compound. Ever hear about how smooth a baby's rear is? Well an adults is normally not half as bad and once you put that pea sized drop on the CPU's IHS press it straight onto one of the cheeks and wiggle it around a bit. After a couple seconds just pull it straight off and put it in. This conditions the thermal compound for use with a smooth surface and can really help temperatures.

By the way, make sure you get a bit of ejaculate on the contact points on the bottom of the CPU as well. Having nice clean contacts is always a must so you don't get intermittent connections making your signals dirty(risking unexpected voltage and current spikes) and not only hampering overclocking potential but also requiring more voltage to get any sort of stability at stock speeds. The latter is made all the more dangerous because your base voltage is higher to begin with so when the crud on your contacts unexpectedly steps up the voltage and current they go even higher than they normally would.

Quote:
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Then you will just love my post. :P
Do not take seriously anything I have written or suggested in this post. It is all a load of bull' and by simply reading this post you agree to never hold myself or Hardware Canucks or any other forum member responsible for your actions and/or damaged and/or destroyed hardware. You agree to accept all costs and/or shame in regards to physiological and/or psychological damage.
Old May 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

wth?
Old May 19, 2008, 09:51 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
.....Is it ok to use q-tips to remove the thermal compound after applying Artic Clean?
I would use a cloth instead of a q-tips because the lint do get stuck in the crevices near the chipset. Use cloth wipes that is lint free.

P.S. If I were you, I would not ejaculate on the cpu because the thermal paste for the cpu is different than the one for the chipset. I use Artic Silver 5 for the CPU and a non conductive ceramic thermal paste for the chipset.

Paphman910
Old May 19, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphman910 View Post
I would use a cloth instead of a q-tips because the lint do get stuck in the crevices near the chipset. Use cloth wipes that is lint free.

P.S. If I were you, I would not ejaculate on the cpu because the thermal paste for the cpu is different than the one for the chipset. I use Artic Silver 5 for the CPU and a non conductive ceramic thermal paste for the chipset.

Paphman910
Use a coffee filter, they are lint free

And Junky: WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 19, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

I just use toilet paper(2 ply). It really doesn't leave any fibers to speak of... but i give the IHS a quick shot of compressed air anyways.
Old May 19, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Don't listen to Macjunky hahaha.

Two of the best things to remove thermal compound is either a coffee filter or the foam pads that come with motherboards.

Its abrasive and porous and works well to remove the compound.
Old May 19, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Don't listen to Macjunky hahaha.

Two of the best things to remove thermal compound is either a coffee filter or the foam pads that come with motherboards.

Its abrasive and porous and works well to remove the compound.
Foam eh?

Going to have to try it next time i seat, Thanks for the tip fire.
I am guessing that the foam would work better for the initial and the coffee filters for the final wipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 19, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Foam eh?

Going to have to try it next time i seat, Thanks for the tip fire.
I am guessing that the foam would work better for the initial and the coffee filters for the final wipe?
Yah.

You can also find lint-freeish paper towel that I use as well to remove anything afterwards. I'll put a bit of cleaner onto the paper towel and keep wiping the chip until the paper towel is clean. Its easy to see that way as the white will show the dirt easy.
Old May 19, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

MacJunky - yet another casualty of the May two-four.

At least, I certainly hope so.