Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2015, 11:20 PM
Rookie

Default Need some help with my case fans

Ok, so I built my system a little while ago, and it has been perfect. But I want a bit more control over noise and temperatures. Currently I have all my all my case fans plugged into my motherboard. They are all 3 pin, exept my cpu fan. And one case fan is plugged into the cpu opt header and it runs at full speed, with no option to slow it down. So, is there something I can do to have two fans connected onto one cable that plugs into the motherboard, which would not use the cpu opt header.

Also, is there any way that I can get the effects of a 4 pin fan, with only a 3 pin fan, through some kind of adapter or something?

Sorry if this is confusing, I am pretty new to this stuff.

Thanks!
Old January 31, 2015, 12:02 AM
Rookie

You can acquire a 'Y cable' which will split one connection into two connections. This will allow you to plug two fans into one header. I've yet to see one though that supports PWM, unless it was bundled with a Corsair closed loop cooler. Unfortunately, if you do not have PWM controlled fans, you cannot reap the benefits of a PWM controller. You may have to acquire a fan controller that uses resistors to reduce the voltage going to the fans. Not all fans support this. Some fans either run at full voltage or not at all.
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Corsair TX750v2 | MB: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | CPU: Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz | Cooling: Corsair H105 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Viper PC3-12800 | GFX: eVGA GTX 770 Reference | SND: Purity Sound 2 | SSD: Axiom Signature III 240GB | HDD's: WDC 1TB Blue & Hitachi 750GB
Old January 31, 2015, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Lamptron FC9 5.25in Bay 4 Channel 50 Watts Per Channel Fan Controller 7 Colors LED - Black - FC-FC9-B(6900628401217)

one of the best controllers on the market. 50watts per channel is no joke you can run a ton of fans off one outlet and this thing will last forever. Short of running cool and quiet settings or software this is your only option for control.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 31, 2015, 01:32 PM
Rookie

Ok thanks guys, I found this Link Depot POW-ADT-3PY 3 Pin Fan Power Y Cable - Newegg.ca i'm assuming both fans will go at one speed and show up as one on the bios right?
Old January 31, 2015, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just keep in mind that you will want to make sure your CPU is still cooled adequately when under load with the lower fan speed. The splitter will indeed make your mobo think you have 1 fan connected and both will run the same. You can also get a little cable that changes the speed of the fan (usually called a low noise adapter or something) by changing the current/voltage to the fan.

Are you sure your BIOS has no setting for CPU fan speed? Most cheap(er) mobos will not, but some do allow you to.
Old January 31, 2015, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Just keep in mind that you will want to make sure your CPU is still cooled adequately when under load with the lower fan speed. The splitter will indeed make your mobo think you have 1 fan connected and both will run the same. You can also get a little cable that changes the speed of the fan (usually called a low noise adapter or something) by changing the current/voltage to the fan.

Are you sure your BIOS has no setting for CPU fan speed? Most cheap(er) mobos will not, but some do allow you to.
My 4 pin cpu fan will still be plugged into the cpu header so that shouldnt be an issue. The problem is that one fan is running at 100% all the time because it is in the cpu opt header and there is no option in my bios to change anything for that. So witht he splitter, I should be able to have two fans on one header and be able to control them using my bios.
Old February 1, 2015, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah okay, that makes sense. I didn't quite read the OP properly so I didn't clue in that it's a case fan (I just saw the CPU opt and assumed CPU fan). What fan header are you going to connect the splitter to?
Old February 2, 2015, 01:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Ah okay, that makes sense. I didn't quite read the OP properly so I didn't clue in that it's a case fan (I just saw the CPU opt and assumed CPU fan). What fan header are you going to connect the splitter to?
Just a chassi fan header (CHA_FAN1)