Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2014, 03:14 PM
Rookie

Default How to: USB RS232 to RJ45 interface pinout

Hello everyone.
I am not able to find a clear guide of wiring a usb serial to an rj45 jack.
It is for a cisco console connection from my pc to a router.
There is a serial usb cable in ebay...
6pin FTDI FT232RL USB to Serial Adapter Module USB to TTL RS232 Arduino Cable R3 | eBay
But, i want to ended with an rj45 jack.... any help will be appreciated.
The serial usb has 6 pins only...

thank you for your time.
Old December 21, 2014, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

ci8sco read pdf ftd 232 also you need software if you don't have
Old December 23, 2014, 03:12 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the reply... good info to have.
BUT, i just wanted to know the connection of the 6 cables that the usb serial cable (my link to the picture in the ebay site) get connected to the RJ45 jack.
The pin-out, cause the usb serial cable has 6 cables and the RJ45 has 8 connection. So which cable get connected to what position in the RJ45.
Well, hope i am explaining myself better. A picture/graph will be great.
I went through both documents and didn't find any indication to the connections that i am looking for.
Thank you for thanking the time to help me out.
Old December 23, 2014, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

TLDR: Buy the Cable.

If I'm understanding what you want done correctly, you probably havnt found anything because you cant do it. Atleast not with a straight through patch of a USB cable to RJ45.
USB is 4 wires and digital. D+,D-,5V and GND. Your cable listed is 6 pins and analog. The reason that cable from ebay works is because in the description says it uses a 'small internal electronic circuit board' to switch the RS232 Analog signal to USB digital.

What you actually want to do is take the Serial pin out listed on the Ebay page, and convert THAT to RJ45, with the included FT232R chip. Without that chip, you're simply not going to get it to work via straight cabling.

If you DO get that wire, you can cut the end off the RS232 side and put on a RJ45 and have it work by wiring a DB9 pinout to RJ45 I imagine, or any sort of old school pinout cabling to match your RX/TX/RTS/CTS and power lines.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 23, 2014, 07:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If this is to use a console port on routers/switches, then you need a USB COM adapter first and foremost, then you need the DB9 to RJ45 console cable. There's absolutely no way you can directly wire USB to the console port.

Alternatively, eBay has some all-in-one cables: Cisco Console Cable USB RJ45 6ft FTDI Windows 8 7 Vista Mac Linux RS232 US | eBay
Old December 24, 2014, 08:56 AM
Rookie

Thanks again for the feed back...
Yes, what original wanted to do, is to buy the eBay cable (usb serial with the FTDI ic)... the part that i need is the ping out to connect the rj45 to the ebay cable.
Also, i saw those cables already made console cables (usb serial with the rj45). BUT because there is a less expensive cables (usb serial...) but without the rj45, i though i can do that myself, just didn't have the pin-out to properly connect the rj45 for a Cisco router console cable.
Because i need 2 or 3 of those, i will be saving some money in the process to putting them together myself.

The DB9 to rj45 pin-out, not sure if will be compatible with the Cisco router console pin-out.
thanks, hopefully someone has done this and has this info.
Old December 24, 2014, 11:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, if you buy a USB to Serial adapter, then you can make your own DB9 to RJ45 cable:

Old December 24, 2014, 02:52 PM
Rookie

Default what i really need.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah, if you buy a USB to Serial adapter, then you can make your own DB9 to RJ45 cable:

I uploaded a png picture from my computer, hope it shows up.
Attached Images

Old December 25, 2014, 10:35 AM
Rookie

I commented yesterday, but some how didn't show up, but here it is again.
Now i made a picture to convey what i would like to accomplish. Hope it shows this time.

This is freaking frustrating, i can't upload the pic i made to this message.... how tha hell u do that.?
It is asking for a url, but my image is on my desktop.

I can copy and paste the image either.... if some can tell me please, that will save me some time and pepto bismo.
Old December 25, 2014, 07:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

When you attach a photo using the "Attach Files" section, it does show up, just below your post/message and not in-line with it.

Since that cable you linked is made for use with Arduinos, it might not work for your usage since it seems they've removed some cables to cut down on cost.