Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23, 2014, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Buff scratches out of clear plastic?

Hoping someone has tips on how to buff scratches out of clear plastic/vinyl material? It's for the logo side of a boxee box that's pretty scratched up. But depending on the success, I have a couple other applications for it. I know toothpaste is a common recommendation, but I don't know if that will buff out clear in the deeper scratches? Another option I've heard is car wax, but not sure?
Old May 23, 2014, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

You will never get scratches out of plastic 100%. And if you have really deep scratches they won't come out either.

Only effective way of removing scratches from plastic is using a random orbiting machine on a high speed with a good compound and moving it alot to avoid heat in places.
Old May 23, 2014, 02:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Check lowfat's build logs. He's had a lot of success buffing acrylic.
Old May 23, 2014, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Check this video. Watch the whole video...How to Polish and Repair Scratched Plastic - YouTube I think what you're looking for is near the end of this video. Good luck.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old May 23, 2014, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks for the tips. Have a few options to test
Old May 23, 2014, 03:15 PM

My System Specs

lowfat's Big Lian Li. Inverted Edition

Should work on plastic but this may take more time then you want so spend on it. If the scratches are deep you really have no choice but to sand it out.
Old May 23, 2014, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
lowfat's Big Lian Li. Inverted Edition

Should work on plastic but this may take more time then you want so spend on it. If the scratches are deep you really have no choice but to sand it out.
I thought about the sanding, but for the Boxee, because the plastic is on a black background, I think I'm going to try an autobody filler followed by a paint polish. Any scratches beyond that are going to be minor. And with it being recessed in to a cabinet anyway, I can't imagine any scratches being seen.

But I have a friend with a custom enclosure that I'll likely be using your tactic on.

*Edit* But damnit if your frigg'n work logs didn't just waste an hour of my day at work as I got lost in the thread!
Old May 23, 2014, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

mother's car polish
Old May 24, 2014, 01:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

was going to say, you could use mothers lens polish, or a kit meant to clean the lights of your car lenses, I have seen kits designed specifically for the more "modern" plastic lens covers that tend to yellow and nick from rocks and mud etc, if you take the time these kits work wonders on any plastic and shine them right up. Brother used a kit on his intrepid which had quite damaged lense covers, took a few hours, but unless you looked at them real close, they looked like glistening marble type shine.
Old May 24, 2014, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstongue View Post
was going to say, you could use mothers lens polish, or a kit meant to clean the lights of your car lenses, I have seen kits designed specifically for the more "modern" plastic lens covers that tend to yellow and nick from rocks and mud etc, if you take the time these kits work wonders on any plastic and shine them right up. Brother used a kit on his intrepid which had quite damaged lense covers, took a few hours, but unless you looked at them real close, they looked like glistening marble type shine.
And those kits are only temporary and the headlights go back to looking like they did in a few months. Those kits are a waste of money.