Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2014, 07:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Recommended Sleeving length order

Hi Guy's,

I'm wanting to attempt to sleeve my current rig. I'll be ordering everything from dazmode but before I placed my order would like to here from the experts on what to order and how much to order. Here's my current shopping list, I'll be attempting to sleeve the 24pin MB, 8+6 pin gpu, front I/O and will replace my SATA cables to color match.

- 20ft of 2mm Single Wire HD Sleeving
- heatshrink ? Not sure what to buy here ? Pre cut, 4:1 ??
- 3 x sata cables (2 SSD and 1 DVD-RW)
- 1 molex atx removal tool
- 1 molex dual ended tool

The one thing missing I think is how to go about sleeving the power cables for SSD and DVD drives. I have a modular PSU so is it best to just order these already sleeved ?

Thanks,
Old March 2, 2014, 07:51 AM
Rookie

How long are the cables you are sleeving?

Here is quote from Lutro0 on sleeving amounts...

Quote:
The best and really only way is to measure them yourself or look at the datasheet for your psu. This can be found on the website for the manufacturer of your psu or a review site as well.

Now you just have to look at the cable length and then add them up....

Letís say you have a 24pin cable and the datasheet says it is 520mm long, so:
24x520mm = 12,480 millimeters = 12.48 meters

So for just the 24pin you will need 12.48 meters of sleeving.

And then you continue to do the same for the eps, sata, molex, and pcie cables. (not to mention any other things/cables you want sleeved)
Once you have everything added up you will want to add 10-20% more sleeve to it just in case you mess something up or perhaps forget about something.
About heat shrink
Quote:
Most places sell pre-cut HS now, so that makes it as simple as adding it up with the rule that you will need 2x pieces of HS per wire.

So you add up all of the wires of your cables/things that you will be sleeving.
I.E. a 24pin cable has 24 pins. So you will need 48 cuts of HS for just the 24pin.

I always add 50-100 more pieces no matter what so you donít have to settle for a messed up look, even more so if this is your first time sleeving.
If you are using tubing that is not pre-cut, I believe the rule of thumb is to find out how much 20% of your total order of sleeving will be and order that amount in HS.
But again I would choose to try and do the math, for example is you are using 15mm cuts of HS, you would need 30mm of hs per wire, and if you are using 20mm cuts you would need 40mm per wire and so on. Remember to add the equivalent of 50 to 100 extra pieces so you can get a little extra.

If you are using heatshrink for the heatshrinkless method for PET type sleeve then a 4ft length can provide up to 100 or more usable pieces to use that method. They dont need to be even or perfect as you are cutting them up anyhow. Here is a good source for heatshrinkless method heatshtink : 1/4th Inch 3:1 Ratio Heatshrink 4ft (For Heatshrinkless) by Lutro0 Customs | Lutro0 Customs
hope this helps!

If you need more info please checkout this link on sleeving, there is a ton of great info not to mention videos and a link to a few stores where you can get everything you would possibly need!

Good luck and happy sleeving!
Old June 18, 2014, 11:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So, Dazmode is sold out of the Molex ATX removal Tool and Molex Dual Ended Tool. Any other alternatives?

Last edited by JoeOnePack; June 18, 2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old June 19, 2014, 03:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Stiff paper clip or a small flat head jewel screwdriver.
Old June 19, 2014, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Stiff paper clip or a small flat head jewel screwdriver.
Ok. I guess it's worth a shot.

Now if I wanted to use the heatshrinkless method, would Dazmode's adhesive heatshrink cause a problem with removing it after it has been heated with a lighter?
Old June 21, 2014, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOnePack View Post

Now if I wanted to use the heatshrinkless method, would Dazmode's adhesive heatshrink cause a problem with removing it after it has been heated with a lighter?
Out of all the extractors I have used, the best setup is either the original molex extractor or the custom one LC makes.

Then the round molex extractor that can be found in many spots including our store.

Lastly a good exacto knife will take care of sata crimp style and female fans.

Here is a few links - please remember that daz normally has these tools and I trust his opinion on quality as he is a good friend.

LC Custom Molex Extractor by Lutro0 Customs | Lutro0 Customs
Round 4 Pin Aux Extractor by Lutro0 Customs | Lutro0 Customs
X-acto Knife with Refill Pack (Z Blade Series) by Lutro0 Customs | Lutro0 Customs
Old June 21, 2014, 11:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:

Also, I would not use adhesive lined heatshrink for heatshrinkless method. It will be a mess when you remove it.

You want to use a 3:1 or 4:1 1/4th heatshrink with thin walls and can handle a bit of heat without completely melting or turning into mush.

You can get it in many places but we do sell it in our store as well.
Heatshrink | Lutro0 Customs

I posted the rest of the tools to make it easier as well but a mod needs to approve it.
Old June 25, 2014, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:

Yeah, that shit is nasty. I remember accidentally getting that stuff instead of the adhesiveness kind. The glue kinda gets everywhere and its hard to get off.