Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2013, 04:27 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Question Video Encoding Help

Hello HWC ppls im in need of sage advice from anyone here who can point me in direction for learning art of video encoding. What i want to learn is basics to advanced like differances settings make whilst encoding or re-coding movies.

Iv noticed hardly any Encoding programs make little to no differance in quality for vast size differances. For example i have a movie coded in 640x480 res its not to clear very chopy.

So i load up say xilisoft and begin to recode said movie wich would be roughly 700 mb. Say extention is mp4. I set quality to 4500kb up the audio to 256 kb output jumps to 6gb yet quality remains near same. Yet iv changed bit rate extention audio and res to 1920x1080. What i want to learn is how to determine wich settings actually affect picture quality. Basicly i want to learn what the lingo what to tweak what to leave what each setting would mean to final output file.

Figured since im building this massive beast of a comp i want to use it to its full potential. If i missed anything let me know as iv tried handbrake and well high profile and quality settings turned a 550mb file into a 17.9gig file with zero improvement over original file lol. So thats the kinda thing i want to know. How not to muck it up that badly.
Old November 25, 2013, 01:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey Shadow,

I think you're a little confused at what reencoding is capable of. Bigger file size doesn't equal better quality. To get more quality into an encoding you have to use an original source that has more quality than what you're outputting to. If you have a poorly encoded 640x480.mp4 the only way to make it better is to obtain the original video file / DVD / BluRay and reencode it back down to 640x480 using different settings.
Old November 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

like above says if you reincode a lower quality vid file into a higher one I think that it would look terrible and very grainy
Old November 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Easiest way to think of this.. Take a 64x64 pixel image and blow it up to 640x480. No matter what you do its not going to look good.
Old November 26, 2013, 10:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ahh ok so no matter what i do i cant code better quaility from file i have. Would changing rez help or make things worse?
Old November 26, 2013, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Ahh ok so no matter what i do i cant code better quaility from file i have. Would changing rez help or make things worse?
Nothing you can fix it it. As stated you need the original untouched source.

If you have a picture and the file size is 3200x1600 you can take that and make it ANY size you want without really losing quality. But if you take that 3200x1600 image and shrink it down to 640x480 and try to resize it back to 3200x1600 its going to be SUPER pixelated.
Old November 27, 2013, 11:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

ahh ok makes more sence.