Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2013, 08:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default HD to SSD drive transfer

Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first SSD drive, Samsung Evo 250. I would like to transfer everything on my 390gb boot drive(C:) to my new 250gig SSD drive. What software is best to make this transfer? And my C: drive has only 112gb used so space is not really a problem.

Thanks,

Dante1
Old September 18, 2013, 03:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

what brand name is the host drive? Some of the HDD manufacturers have a decent branded version of acronis, but it has to be able to detect that particular brand of HDD.

That said... isn't there something about SDDs that makes it better to do a fresh install as opposed to just copying over the files?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 18, 2013, 05:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That said... isn't there something about SDDs that makes it better to do a fresh install as opposed to just copying over the files?
Yes you are right but iTunes is a pain to transfer!
Old September 18, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What I did my self was install my my SSD disconnected my Hard drive then did a fresh install onto the SSD, after the fresh install I reconnected my hard drive and just linked programs and files that don't really need speed and over time I slowly transferred everything over which really wasn't much.

personally I still believe that SSDs are only good for boot speed and loading speed of slow programs.
Old September 19, 2013, 07:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

this is what I did about a year ago:

Well I managed to clone my C: drive to a Samsung 840 series 120 GB SSD (BTW the Samsung clone program that I downloaded from their web site didn't work)

For those who want to do it, here's how I did. (no claims on being an expert. Probably better ways to do it but this worked for me). It was surprisingly easy.

Hook the new SSD up to your system and boot (or reboot if you have hot swap drives)
Run Disk Manager - give it a MBR (master boot record) and right click on the drive select new simple volume and give it a letter. (go to the start button and just start typing disk man and it will pop up)
Download Easeus todo backup free from cNET
EaseUS Todo Backup Free 5.5 - CNET Download.com
Install and run it
Clone the C: drive to the new drive letter N (or whatever you picked) It did want to create a large system reserved partition on the drive. It shows you what it will do but I clicked and dragged it back to 1GB from 12.5 GB. Probably could have made it smaller than that but I didn't know what I was doing. I figured a GB was more than necessary. Somebody smart than me can comment.
When finished
Swap the drives and pull your old one out of the case
Reboot the machine
Windows rebooted once on me but then everything was fine.
Run Disk Manager and right click on the drive, properties, and change the name to something you like.

I think that was all the highlights

The Samsung SSD magician v3.2 software is kind of fun to fiddle with if you have a Samsung drive.
Attached Images
Old September 19, 2013, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

when ever I have used any clone software like EaseUS Todo Backup and then tryed it it seemed to work up to around 2 months then I would start to have problems with windows start getting freezes and errors randomly even though before I did this the os worked perfectly so now I don't use any type of cloning softrware I do back up my users folder and docs, pictures videos game saves stuff like that but I don't bother with the other stuff
Old September 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Problem with a fresh install is that I always forget to back up something and then I start cursing till the cows come home!
But yes, that is the best alternative. There is nothing better than a clean install.

It's just so much work.
Old September 19, 2013, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
Problem with a fresh install is that I always forget to back up something and then I start cursing till the cows come home!
But yes, that is the best alternative. There is nothing better than a clean install.

It's just so much work.
I believe that there's actually a bit more to it than just "clean install is the best". IIRC there's something about the way a clone from a HDD is put onto an SSD that makes it perform like crap. (Hoping our resident storage guru AkG chimes in to either clarify what the issue is, or conversely to tell me that I haven't got a clue..... ;) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 21, 2013, 01:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Macrium Reflect is by far the best utility I've used.
Old October 21, 2013, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

If I was to take a guess I would say its the difference in file cluster size and the fragementation that takes place on a platter drive.