Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2013, 05:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need help Current status of Raid Arrays technology

I have been reading various articles over the past few years about the options for setting Raid as a means of redundancy in back up solutions.
From all i read i would like -if possible- to set a 1 + 0 (10) type. I understand that 4 HDDS are needed for that.
In the past, 4 totally identical HDD were necessary. Is that still the case? Or nowadays different brands and models could be amalgamated? With the caveat that to be efficient they all should be of the same size?
Same with Raid 1 which needs 2 HDDs of the same size.

I also understand that Windows 7 Home only supports Raid 0 and 1 but nothing else.

My current situation is this:

I am getting a new PC built:
- Fractal Design Define R4
- Intel i5-4670K Haswell
- Asus Z87 Sabertooth
- 16 GB Kingston Memory Hyper X Blu
- Windows 7 Home 64-bit

I am planning to set the Raid 1 + 0 (if possible via the hardware) OR Raid 1 via Windows 7 Home Software.

If the motherboard supports Raid 10 can the 1 + 0 be set via the Bios without the need of a specific Card just for Raid?
If i am using 2 WD5000AAKS in Raid with the OS in an Intel 320 Series SSD, would there be any incompatibilities?

And lastly i will be setting the software to run Intel Smart Technology to accelerate all 7 of my HDDs. This now is a very ignorant question from Me >> Are there any clashes between running Raid and also running Intel's Smart Response Technology software to accelerate all my mechanical drives with cache from the SSD?

I would appreciate knowledgeable responses from those willing to help including how to do any or all of those things I am interested in

Thank you kindly

Note:
If i am able to set Raid of any kind and eventually I lose one or more of the HDDs in a major crash, where can i find tutorial/s of how to proceed to save the data at that point?

Last edited by MSwhip; July 6, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Windows does not "support" RAID. RAID is supported by the chipset and drivers of the motherboard or add on card you choose.

All Windows "sees" is a HD.

You *could* probably use HDs of different sizes and speeds but the RAID array is going to build off the size of the smallest and slowest drive you've got. You're also probably just begging for issues.

Intel's version of RAID in their chipsets are actually pretty decent and works surprisingly well for software RAID. At this point that's the one you should probably use. Go into the BIOS and turn the SATA mode from AHCI to RAID and you're halfway there already. Intel RAID has great support and windows will see the 4 (or whatever) combined drives very simply as one regular HD with no action on your part.

FYI: I'm running RAID5 on my Windows 7 setup and it's accelerated using an SSD again using Intel's software - I find that it's measures better than just using RAID alone and not just in speed.

2nd FYI: "Hardware RAID" simply means the RAID is run by a dedicated processor to handle RAID parity calculations. Even some "RAID cards" are software driven and don't have their own processor. HINT: look for big pricetags and a heatsink on the card to find a true hardware RAID solution :)

3rd FYI: Intel's acceleration would need a SSD for each "volume" you'd want accelerated. You only want to accelerate your boot drive or the one holding all your games, etc.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks you Perineum for your prompt reply. So in summary what would you suggest for me to do? I really like the 1 + 0 BUT i dont have 4 identical HDDS for that i only have 2 . Should i just go with Raid 1 given that my main intent is to have redundacy for safety?
Old July 6, 2013, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes. Next step after that would be RAID 5 using Intel's built in RAID and a third drive.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh, and look at this: You'll be using the ICH10R chipset..... Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) — Matrix RAID volumes for single RAID arrays
Old July 6, 2013, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

restart your computer and enter the RAID BIOS screen by hitting Ctrl+A, (adaptec) Ctrl and I (intel) when prompted during power-up.
Old July 7, 2013, 06:23 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I set up a Raid 10 on my SR2 using 2 Raptors 74Gb and 2 Raptors 80Gb drives. No problems whatsoever.

As previously mentioned, change the drive BIOS setting from AHCI to RAID, then enter the utility using the CTRL+ (x) - watch the screen or check your manual, since it varies from one BIOS manufacturer to another. Once in the RAID utility, follow the instructions.

Very simple these days. Once in the OS, install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software to verify and assess the array's health.
Old July 7, 2013, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

also keep in mind that the raid with the intel controller on the motherboard it will be software raid, it will take away cpu cycles from you cpu to do that. Almost all RAID controller of the motherboards are software. You should be looking for a dedicated card if you really want that, but if you really have important documents you can`t recover (redownload) it is best you keep them backed up on a DVD or a USB drive. I would go with DVD however.