Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Guides & How-to's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/)
-   -   Changing Directories (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/56830-changing-directories.html)

jpark245 September 20, 2012 02:43 PM

Changing Directories

Hey guys. I recently built a new computer with a 60GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and a 2GB Seagate Barracuda HDD, but i have a problem. I need all downloads from the internet as well as installations and program files to go on the HDD, not the SSD, since the SSD is only for installing Windows. I looked online, but there wasnt really a good explanation, so could any of you guys give a step by step tutorial on how to do this?
Thanks.

sswilson September 20, 2012 02:48 PM

I'm not sure if there's a stock setting you can use to do it automatically. You just need to do "save as" rather than a standard "save" as well as chosing "custom" when something installs and specifying your HDD.

Fudd Rucker September 21, 2012 08:13 AM

Open up your user folder, find your appropriate user folders ie: downloads,contacts,my music ect. Right click and go to properties, location and click the button to move the folder to your HDD. As for default installations, like ssw said you will have to manually set it to install on your HDD. I myself have been looking for a way to change the stock C:\program files folder permanantly on my 7 box to my hdd as well.

JohnEBH October 30, 2012 03:35 PM

Use symbolic links.
I use this to help me:
Link Shell Extension

Here I'll use Steam games as an example
go into steamapps/common. Choose the games you want on your SSD if you can't fit them all. Right click the folders on the SSD and click Pick Link Source.
Then go back to the steamapps/common folder. Delete the folders for the games you just transferred over to the SSD and right click anywhere in the folder and click Drop as > Symbolic link.

Good luck!

-Addition
The same can be done with the program files folders. Move the entire "Program Files" folder to the SSD/HDD whichever, then highlight the folder "Program Files" and right click, Pick Link Source, go back to the OS drive, right click anywhere and finally "Drop As > Symbolic Link"

lowfat October 30, 2012 04:11 PM

Another vote for Link Shell Extension. Easiest way out there to do symbolic links in Windows.

jaysonkurt December 1, 2012 11:09 PM

There may be tool what can help you handle this but I would still think re installation of your applications to your HDD is the best solution. I hope it helps.

EmeraldFlame December 2, 2012 07:31 AM

The method I like to use is moving the entire "User" folder, although it does take just a little bit of time to do.

For windows 7 life hacker has a good guide to do this here: Move the Users Directory in Windows 7

For windows 8 there is a good guide here: User Profiles - Relocate to another Partition or Disk

This will permanently move your entire "User" folder to whatever drive you want without breaking anything its worked quite nice for me in the past.

sf101 December 2, 2012 03:25 PM

what motherboard are you using just a curious question.