Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2009, 09:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Wut? I recommend everyone use watercooling. Unless you are a big fan of heat and noise that is.

I think it all depends on the application really, if your sticking to Stock Clocks on everything, there is no point dumping hundreds of dollars into WC when many of the Air cooling options out there are both quiet and efficent.
Its not for everyone.

That being said, gaget, if your theory is correct, than even Aircooling there is no time to react right in failure right?
I think WC is right, if used in the right application.
Same with Air.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 12, 2009, 09:32 AM
Top Prospect

Thread digger alert :lol:
James
Old February 12, 2009, 09:46 AM
Allstar

Actually with most decent (read: HUGE) air coolers you have a larger margin of error if a fan braks vs a pump, a TRUE with no fan can still cool a stock CPU all day long if the case has sufficient ventilation.

A w/c setup with a failed pump would most likely heat up really fast.

I have the CPX pro with a 3-pin fan header, I like that due to the RPM shut down, faster than just temp trigger.

if you want fancy there are tons of electronic flow meters, even ones that just go around the tube without needing to touch the fluid, set one of these up with a relay and it will shut down.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actuallly, I have had all sorts of fan/pump failures in my experiences with water. A pump failure will trigger the bios to shut down before damage because the temps don't just spike wildly. I have had the fans stop on my rads and have run highly overclocked Quads this way without shutdown/error due to built in protections of the CPU. Any type of flow meter is a complete waste unless you are constantly staring inside your PC since you will never see it otherwise. Intel CPU's can take an incredible amount of heat punishment. I regularly torment a QX6850/QX9650 at well over 80C with heatsink testing and have yet to compromise them in any way. I don't recommend doing this to your own PC of course, but as long as you take basic precautions, you have nothing to worry about.
Old February 12, 2009, 11:47 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The biggest risk going today is those damn pushpins for intel rigs. So easy to install wrong and pop out.

But again, set your bios to shut down. mine is set at 65c, well below tjmax and 10c above the hottest it gets.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Lol. This thread is encroaching on a year old..

Thats a good idea about the bios though. I never really thought of a pump failure. *goes to change that in bios*
Old March 2, 2009, 01:23 AM
MVP

The closest thing I can recommend for what your asking is a Silverstone FP52 fan controller, it has temp sensors that will give off an alarm at a programmed temperature. Other then that the previous reply's seem like the safest bet, especially if you are afk.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Wut? I recommend everyone use watercooling. Unless you are a big fan of heat and noise that is.
Its how i cook my waffles, though in all seriousness you could rig up a sensor to a microcontroller that would effectivelly tell your power supply to shut off if the sensor ( a temperature one) went above a thresshold, though this would require an extensive knowledge in electronics.