Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

unless you are getting the high grade fiber designed for ISP backbone connections at like 50GB/s. it's actually surprisingly less than I thought. not cheap, but total for the hardware and media, you'd probably be looking at $500-1000. get some friends or rent a little caterpillar digger (again, not too expensive, my dad got 24 hours [based on how long the machine was running] for $75) dig the ditch yourself, and lay the line in a piece of PVC.
Old April 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yeah fiber materials should run $500 bucks (1000 ft box multimode, termination panels with mechanical SC connectors, patch cables).

Then you got the media converters (prolly $100 each?, been a while since i quoted one of those)

And because you still need to terminate the ends, it's probably cheaper to hire a fiber/network guy to do the ends for you ($400) versus buying the tools yourself.

Plus the conduit (must have) and you are probably looking at under 2 grand all in?
Old April 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh ya, good point on having someone professionally install the ends. is it really that expensive to get it done for you?
and ya, getting multimode is a lot cheaper than singlemode. and for the range he's dealing with, it's fine.
Old April 17, 2012, 03:53 AM
Rookie

Actual length..I measured it minus the up and down the eaves is 550ft. There is a big 35 foot tall x 50 foot wide x 150 foot long shed that is in the way of line of site from the water tower that radiates the signal. The antenna would have to be 70 ft at my house to get a clear line of site because we live in a lower area. A friend of mine has a stock of fiber optic cable 50/125 and said he could sell it for 100.00 bucks for 700ft, but I would have buy 2 converters for $90.00 and said it would run well over 2km. That's an idea. and Cheap.
I'll see what this installer has in mind..if all works well for 15mbps and all I get is 6 mbps, I'll get charged for 6mbps speed. I'll then turn around and install that fiber optic cable to get the 15mbps for the 6 mbps price. The only downfall is that the fiber optic cable will have to be encased in a pvc buriable pipe to protect it from moisture. I'll keep y'all posted and thanks for the advice.
Old April 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKatascosa View Post
The only downfall is that the fiber optic cable will have to be encased in a pvc buriable pipe to protect it from moisture. I'll keep y'all posted and thanks for the advice.
You should be doing this with your CAT6 cable as well, just in case any critters burrow or somebody decides to dig a hole and hits your line. I know they make outdoor CAT6 but still a PVC pipe isn't overly expensive by any means to put in to get you some added protection.