Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2012, 08:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Newegg.com - NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller is this what your talking about. which one do you use? as far as space the only place i can put it is above my resevour i have it takes up 2 bays and would be right next to my raditor/ 120 mm fan. it looks like i have the clearance for it. and do you connect this straight to the PSU or MOBO. ive never used one of these controllers
Old January 22, 2012, 06:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't recommend the NZXT Sentry 2 I have one and I only use it to monitor temps and even those are off by a few degrees. On my Sentry 2 I get an annoying clicking noise from just about ever fan I use with it. try out this >> Scythe Kaze Master 5.25IN Bay Fan Controller Backlit VFD Display Fan Temp Black - Scythe - KM01-BK it seems better than the sentry anyways.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ya been reading on the NZXT is a no go for me. you are another person that confirms noise issues with it. the Scythe Kaze cost a few more bucks but worth the noise lvl lol. thanks for the input
Old January 23, 2012, 05:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I had a Scythe Kaze Master for a while with no issue at all. It works well and it is good looking. Actually, I'm using a simple SunBeam Tech Rheobus Extreme that I heavily modded to match my Mountain Mods Ascencion because I needed more power. If you have some cash to spend, you can take a look at this one : Lamptron FCT Full Touch Screen Control and Adjustment 6 Channel Fan Controller - No Knobs - Lamptron - FCT I read lots of good things about the Lamptron. Just make sure you buy a real Lamptron and not some cheap imitation like this : G-Vans Fan Controller Touch - 6 Channels - Black Products Model: FC-TOUCH-BK [FC-TOUCH-BK] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come. 30 watts per channel should be enough for almost anything.
Old January 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

money isnt an issue. i want what will work best and keep my system cool. a fan con trol like this isnt something im used to. always messed with Bios/programs to control them. i really appreciate the help. i only have 1 5 1/4 drive bay left right above my reseviour that takes up to bays. wiring will be tricky since the wires will be rrunning by the 120 mm fan. ive been trying to look around for my mobo and see if there was any info for the fan headers to see if i can just use a 3 pin y splitter. but i cant seem to find anything. any thoughts? or should i just hook up a fan controller straight to the PSU and connect the fans to the controller?
Old January 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Wiring may not be an easy job to do, especially when you use the temp probes. But once done, you don't have nothing else to worry about. If I were you, I would get a good fan controller and plug the additionnal fans on it for more control and flexibility. I know that it is possible to plug the CPU fan on certain controllers and let it controls but I would never do that since this fan is so strategic. Anyway, since you're watercooling this is not realy an issue for you,
If you only need to control (but not monitor) one fan or two and you want to keep your bay free, there is also this thing that I used and it's working well. (sorry, I didn't find it in a canadian strore but I'm sure it's possible)
Sunbeam PCI Fan Controller at Xoxide!. Or this : Sunbeam Rheosmart PCI Fan Controller at Xoxide!

Last edited by pellelu; January 23, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old January 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoracer View Post
Hello, you would use one rpm sense wire from each bank of fans. So for the 360 one wire shows the speed of those 3 fans. They are all the same fan type so speed will be very close for all 3. You can not put 3 into 1 wire and get a reliable reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pellelu View Post
Hi! As long as you're using the same model of fans in a chain (Y splitter or daisy chain), you'll be able to monitor and adjust the fans speed. They'll all respond in the same manner.
provided that using only 1 tach wire, if using 3 tech's will confuse 3x fan hall effect
Old January 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So cutting the yellow wire from a fan connector and leaving just one wont be an issue? im not positive if the yellow wire is the tach wire im almost sure tho.

Pretty much. cable management/ease of install is what i am aiming for.

If i have to buy a fan controller i will. I want to hook up 2 200MM fan to the same 3 pin on top 3 3 120mm for a 360 mm radiator and 2 more 200mm front and side. i do have a 140 mm in back. however my AsRock Fatality z68 mobo does not have enough fan headers. so if buying a controller and hooking it up to the PUS is the way to go then im all in. but if i can buy some splitters and make that work without destroying my mobo i can go for it. i havent been able to find the wattage/amp ratings for the fan headers on my mobo anywhere, not even the Manufactures website or manual.

If anyone has a link/ idea id appreciate it.

It seems like getting a controller is safer and the way to go

Last edited by Warcrimes; January 24, 2012 at 05:39 AM.