Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Anyone know a good paracord source (different colours) for Canada?

Lots of reference to US retailers, but the shipping they charge kind of negates the whole appeal.
Old March 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Found this one, but doesn't have all the colours I am interested in:

550 Paracord Military Spec - The Canadian Outdoor Equipment Co.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old March 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Anyone know what size paracord he is using in the video and what size heat shrink?

Video
Old March 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most paracord is ~3mm in diameter. (what he used in the video) A little bit thick for PSU sleeving but the 2mm stuff is even harder to use.
Old March 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What about the heatshrink? 1/8" and 3/8"? And what's the difference between 2:1 and 3:1 ratio's? (Talking about heat shrink still)
Old March 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly can't be sure just by looking at the video.

The ratio is just how much the heatshrink will shrink. (ie a 3:1 ratio 3mm diameter will shrink to 1mm and a 2:1 ratio will do 1.5mm) Higher ratio's are typically more expensive, but easier to use.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey guys!

I was lucky enough to obtain 1000ft of different 550 paracord from an army surplus store when my family went down to Phoenix. I had a video cable extension supplied with my Cooler Master Haf X case so I tested a couple pieces using a technique found on youtube (I won't post it here because I still want to give full credit for the post from Mnpctech who inspired me to pursue this in the first place).

I got the contact information for this guy down in Phoenix (I'm in Alberta), and he has never heard of sleeving computer cables but has +30 color selection and could possibly be a solid paracord supplier for us Candadians if the shipping isn't ridonkulous. (Price was $0.08/foot or $7.95/100ft US)

I also tried another paracord store based out of the UK and with shipping it's about $0.17/foot, but it has yet to come. Will also update when it comes... (Unfortunately I already bought this before I found the Phoenix store...)

If any Canadians have had any luck finding a wide variety of Paracord for a cheap price let me know! Just helping the cause.

Any way's here's some pics:

**The one bunch of rope has reflector strands in it!!**

Old April 4, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Im guessing you melted the actual fibres to the cables instead of using heatshrink?
Old April 4, 2012, 09:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Im guessing you melted the actual fibres to the cables instead of using heatshrink?
ya eh? how does it stick? I found that I had to put a small bit of heatshrink under the paracord to get the outer heatshrink to stick. but that just made the overall diameter a little big for the hole on the connector.
Old April 4, 2012, 09:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Yea its pretty self explanatory... Heat the paracord up and roll it with your fingers until the diameter is smaller than the individual cable (1/8th ish)

You might have to reheat and roll a couple of times to get it small enough I did test putting the cables back in the clips and it worked but since they are clear and I am getting black one's from Daz I didn't want to take them out again... feel free to PM me if your still having issues

Oh and BBQ lighter is your buddy on this one if someones trying to use a heat gun?