Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Would a single piece of the 12" x24" cover the top piece of the case (IE top and edges) or would I need a 24" x 24" sheet?
Old December 24, 2011, 05:51 AM
Allstar

You'll need to measure your case, to determine size of sheet needed

I love how this looks! kier's Power Supply with 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Sheet

Old January 25, 2012, 04:57 AM
Allstar

The 120mm honeycomb fan grill and then covered with 3M carbon fiber material covered with Plastikote brand "Engine Enamel Clear #229" in July has been holding up perfectly.

Old January 25, 2012, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Bill, how much did you need for that PSU?
Old February 9, 2012, 08:01 AM
Allstar

12" x 12" sheet
Old February 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
Allstar

I love how kier applied the 3M Di-noc carbon fiber to the exterior of his modified Corsair 600T

Old February 21, 2012, 07:59 AM
Trial Member

I've been thinking about different options for mods on my 600t and i really like the look of kier's case. I was thinking of covering the plastic bits with either a silver or white color. I also love the look of that P67 Sabertooth, that thing is just sick looking :)
Old February 21, 2012, 08:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly1 View Post
I've been thinking about different options for mods on my 600t and i really like the look of kier's case. I was thinking of covering the plastic bits with either a silver or white color. I also love the look of that P67 Sabertooth, that thing is just sick looking :)

WTH? lol I haven't used that account forever but somehow it posted under that name... strange indeed
Old February 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I have some questions for all the peeps who have used this stuff:

How well does it stick in sharp corners or valleys ?

How easy is it to trim around small holes and other stuff? Do you just use a sharp xacto blade and get a real nice edge? Does it cut easy?

How easy does it come off? Does it leave a residue/mess?

All the stuff I've seen in this thread looks amazing, like factory done. Except for the first example, the iphone. For me the cut out around the camera lens looks hokey, like a home made job. Jagged curves. I know it is very difficult to make a small radius cut with a xacto knife if the material does not cut like a hot knife through butter.

The reason i'm asking is that I am thinking of doing the wood grain part of the dash of my 2011 Silverado over with this stuff. Here's a pic:

Very easy to do most of it but there are some small switch cutouts on the dash and a lot of tight contours and cutouts in the door panel switch plate. I don't want this to end up looking like a high school kid slapped it on his Civic.
Old February 21, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Squeeze, the 2 main things with working with this (YMMV this was what I found) is 1: tight corners = heat, get that vinyl soupy and pliable it will take a hell of a stretch before it rips. For corners and round edges this is a must. 2: as you surmised a very sharp exacto knife is needed to cut it, if you use a dull knife then you end up with crappy edging. Lay the product over the part smoothing it as you go, cut the holes from the back side and tbh it is simple, again sharp knife is key. You will also want to make sure the surface is as clean as possible especially on the edges. Get the primer since that will be high traffic area's. For flat non-heavy use spot you shouldnt need it but yeah I would use it for the edging and corners.

Drop by here: Carbon Fiber Film | Dedicated To Selling 3M Carbon Fiber DI-NOC Vinyl
and have a look at the FAQ's and videos, plus IMO better selection, price on larger orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton