Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2011, 08:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Work in Progress -- How to Choose and Install a Capture Card

Hey fellas. For my class I'm working on a short video; and the idea I chose for mine was to do a instructional video on how to choose and install a capture card.

Now, this is my first video, so it's bound to not be that great.

Video is missing last scene where software is installed; also missing picture overlays.

Just looking for some critisizms.

UPDATED VIDEO--still a work in progress

YouTube - How to Choose and Install a Capture Card WIP -- Test 2

RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/

Last edited by Mr. Gruntsworthy; February 4, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old January 29, 2011, 06:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I've always been a fan of 'How to' vids that actually show the process, maybe splice a vid showing you install one with this ones commentary?
Old January 29, 2011, 07:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

Oh yeah, the part where it gets installed I'm going to be filming my HPTC as I put the card in.
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

Old January 29, 2011, 08:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post
Oh yeah, the part where it gets installed I'm going to be filming my HPTC as I put the card in.
I look forward to the finished product, a Capture Card is something I'm interested in.
Feel free (& please) to PM when you are done.
Old January 30, 2011, 01:14 PM
Banned
F@H

looking good, grats for not fessing up before the camera :)
Old January 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

- Do not apologize during a video. If you make an error that is obvious, re-shoot the segment.
- If the capture card's instructions are in a sensible order, use them as your guide for your video
- Include your observations as you install the hardware, software, and setup the applications.
- For example, while recording the connector types on the capture card describe the video quality of each connector format.
- Practice the install, setup process, and the "script" until you can feel confident and the recording will be the only thing to worry about.
- Use a full shot of yourself at the beginning (introduction) and the end (summary) of the video and then use a combination of shooting positions throughout the video - ie, over the shoulder, from above, or from the sides only showing your hands installing the card and cables.
- Review other videos and observe likes and dislikes about those videos and adapt your video to be the best
- Follow instructions of the project requirements.
- Try to keep the video as short and concise as possible.

I hope this helps
Score an A+ on your class project!

Last edited by HalifaxPete; January 30, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxPete View Post
- Do not apologize during a video. If you make an error that is obvious, re-shoot the segment.
- If the capture card's instructions are in a sensible order, use them as your guide for your video
- Include your observations as you install the hardware, software, and setup the applications.
- For example, while recording the connector types on the capture card describe the video quality of each connector format.
- Practice the install, setup process, and the "script" until you can feel confident and the recording will be the only thing to worry about.
- Use a full shot of yourself at the beginning (introduction) and the end (summary) of the video and then use a combination of shooting positions throughout the video - ie, over the shoulder, from above, or from the sides only showing your hands installing the card and cables.
- Review other videos and observe likes and dislikes about those videos and adapt your video to be the best
- Follow instructions of the project requirements.
- Try to keep the video as short and concise as possible.

I hope this helps
Score an A+ on your class project!
Thanks for the pointers, man. :D

Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I don't know if I'll be able to re-film my already-filmed segments; but it's good to keep in mind for next time.

Old February 4, 2011, 08:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

Video's updated and somewhat near completion. Video is missing last scene where software is installed; and it's missing the picture overlays.