Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 09:49 AM
Rookie

Default Guide to Clean a SSD

Wondering if there is a guide on this forum to erase/clean SSDs?
Old December 30, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nope just using trim in 7 or a tool like intel tool box or ocz toolbox.
Old December 30, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Step 1) go here Make your OCZ Flash Drive Bootable - Vista and FreeDOS
follow the guide
Step 2) go here to download download Hdderase 3.3 http://pcper-articlecontent.s3.amazo...DErase_3.3.zip

Step 2a) OR use sani erase found here:
Guide Sanitary Erase and Wiper

Step 3) unzip hdderase or sani erase to the usb drive
Step 4) reboot with USB and run it
Step 5) reformat and enjoy (in a TRIM envrio!!!)
Step 6) IF you are not in a TRIM environment (or have an OLD ssd) run a AS-CLEAN w/ FF option to manually clear the cells as sani and hdderase dont clean the cells per say..just the data table.
you can find it here:
Guide A simple guide for speeding up EOL OCZ SSD's.
Step 6) understand that doing all this too often WILL shorten the life of your SSD ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 30, 2010, 02:01 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

... or just let your PC sit idle for an hour or so a week so that ITGC can do its work?
Old December 30, 2010, 03:09 PM
Rookie

problem is I am in RAID mode and trim does not work.
Old December 30, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i can tell you that running as-clean with ff on did in fact kill 2 indilinx ssd on me no doubt about i do not recommend this at all. in fact there's almost no point in running raided ssd. and i only ran it once a week on that machine. just my 2 cents
Old December 30, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Then run AS-Clean w/ FF option ticked. It will write FFs to all the free cells. Since FF is the same as a virgin state it will "clean" the free space. Its a kinda sorta kludge'y TRIM / ITGC. Thang. BUT only do this IF you notice a slow down and simply leting the drives idle at least one hour a week should also work as "ITGC" works even in RAID. AND AS-Clean does shorten the life of the SSD IF you do it too often (once every 10 days is a good safe'ish number).

This assumes that you dont have SF based SSDs. They compress the data so AS-Clean doesnt' do much, AND they have lazy house cleaning (hell they even ignore the TRIM command and only "take it under advisement"!) as that is how they are designed to get as long as possible out of the NAND.... In which case the longer you can let them idle the BETTER, but dont expect miracles as they are designed to basically work in a semi-degraded state for the majority of their lifespan. Nature of the SF beast and all that. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr