Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Guides & How-to's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/)
-   -   Powering Everything Off Via Power Bar Every Night (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/33642-powering-everything-off-via-power-bar-every-night.html)

bkh2 June 26, 2010 09:44 PM

Powering Everything Off Via Power Bar Every Night

I'm not exactly sure where to post this, but I have a question:

I have all my computer stuff hooked up to one power bar and every night, after I shut down, I also turn off the switch on the power bar. This cuts out all power so the lights on the mobo as well as any connected peripherals (such as a USB hub) are off. My question is whether this is bad for the overall longevity of the computer, whether it has any adverse effects, or whether it is actually a good thing to do. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pine June 26, 2010 10:08 PM

Well, I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but I keep the powerbar itself always on.

supaflyx3 June 26, 2010 10:09 PM

No why would it be bad? The only adverse effect i see is the HDD's use alot of power to spin-up, so that decreases their longevity. Other then that you should be fine.

bkh2 June 26, 2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 396387)
No why would it be bad? The only adverse effect i see is the HDD's use alot of power to spin-up, so that decreases their longevity. Other then that you should be fine.

Do you mean to say that the HDD's spin even after the computer has shut down?

I've read a little bit on this and people seem to say different things. Some say that it'll generate power spikes which may damage the power supply, and in turn will damage the rest of the components. Others say it is totally fine.

Zero82z June 26, 2010 10:20 PM

It's not a problem, and you actually save on standby power by doing it.

supaflyx3 June 26, 2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkh2 (Post 396388)
Do you mean to say that the HDD's spin even after the computer has shut down?

I've read a little bit on this and people seem to say different things. Some say that it'll generate power spikes which may damage the power supply, and in turn will damage the rest of the components. Others say it is totally fine.

No i mean when you start your computer up in the morning the HDD's use a lot of power to spin-up.
But i agree with zero, even if you turn off your computer it's still drawing power, so in turn it's saving you money with turning off the powerbar.

bkh2 June 26, 2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 396390)
It's not a problem, and you actually save on standby power by doing it.

Yeah, saving power was the main reason. My dad, being as cheap as he is, told me to hook everything to one and turn it off at night to save power lol

I guess as long as there are no adverse effects, I am okay with it. Should prevent my comp from getting destroyed in the event of a lightning storm too haha

supaflyx3 June 26, 2010 10:37 PM

no it wouldn't -.- if lighting struck, it would still go straight to your computer.

Pine June 26, 2010 10:37 PM

Hmm, guess I'll start turning my power bar off too. Why would my rig be sucking power when it's off?

supaflyx3 June 26, 2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine (Post 396396)
Hmm, guess I'll start turning my power bar off too. Why would my rig be sucking power when it's off?

Standby power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia