Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2010, 10:25 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
no it wouldn't -.- if lighting struck, it would still go straight to your computer.
No, it wouldn't. If the power bar is switched off then there is no physical path between the wall socket and the components connected to it.
Old June 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The only advantage is the power savings, and it's a minor one at that. If lightning can make it from the sky to the ground... It will jump that .125" gap across thee switch in your power bar, unless you have a power bar specifically designed for high voltage protection.

Here in Alberta, we pay approx. 7c per kWh, lets call it 8c. (I would rather estimate high than low)

My old kill a watt is broken, but I've read that an average computer with monitor draws in the neighborhood of 35 watts when off. Lets cal that 50 watts.

So, say you "unplug" your PC for 12 hours per day, rather than just leaving it off but plugged in. 12hr x 50w =600Wh = 0.6kWh /day x $.07/kWh = $.042/day x 365 = $15.33 per year.

Again, that's based on a 50w draw, which I doubt you have unless you happen to have triple monitors or something. And it's also based on 12hr of offtime per day. Perhaps you leave it unplugged longer than that?

The only disadvantage I can see, is that perhaps it would shorten the life of your CMOS battery.
Old June 27, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
No, it wouldn't. If the power bar is switched off then there is no physical path between the wall socket and the components connected to it.
Depends on the voltage by the time it got to the power bar....
Old June 27, 2010, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Depends on the voltage by the time it got to the power bar....
Exactly, the millions of volts of electricity can easily jump the distance between the switch and the power. See as it does shoot KM's down through the sky from clouds...
Old June 27, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think at that point in time you're not worrying about your computer so much as your smoldering ass, though....
Old June 27, 2010, 08:02 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I think at that point in time you're not worrying about your computer so much as your smoldering ass, though....
That's what you might think...

I won't be turning off my power bar. It can suck 5 bucks a year if it wants. Don't want to bend down and turn it off anyway, heh.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
MVP

Given the very low standby power drain I never turn off the power bar, in my case a UPS, after I turn my pc off. A marginal Cmos battery could mean that all your bios customizations will go up in smoke if the power bar is left off too long. This may not affect a new systems but I have too often seen cmos batteries go well before the life of the pc is at an end. Also the initial voltage rush upon turning on a cheap power bar may shorten the power supply's life.

Anyways, in this day & age I still wonder why more people don't invest in a good UPS for their precious rigs as opposed to a simple power bar. Also, if going just the power bar route, invest in a very good one, at least one with a "Real" attached component warranty like APC ($20 at Costco).

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old June 28, 2010, 11:40 AM
Rookie

I've been shutting down my system every night and turning off my power bar. I've been doing it for 6 years and have yet to have any issues what so ever. My building is also frequently hit by lightning and nothing has ever happened. As far as spinning up the HD it doesn't matter if the power bar is on or off it still uses the same amount of power and time to spin up to speed.
Old June 28, 2010, 02:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My grandpa does this too. No adverse effects yet.

I personally don't though. Then my BIOS has to double POST basically, which sometimes results it in saying my OC failed. Really just a pain.
Old July 1, 2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

Switching off the power bar is a bad thing to do. It can "spike" your computer and damage it. Also you are shortening the life of your CMOS battery as it needs a constant stream of juice to keep it at peak.