Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2010, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Question VGA cooler install help

Hey all, I'm looking at an Arctic Cooling heatsink for my newly replaced GF8800GT 512mb. I just had it RMA'd from BFG, and the new one has a larger heatsink, and fan shroud but I'm still getting 85C+ in games, and that's with a small house fan pointed at the card with the side off the case.
I'm looking at this one here
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 Passive VGA Cooler - ACCELERO-S1-REV2 In Canada.

but I either need a really good step by step guide, or I'll have to take it to a local shop and let them do it. I'm capable of installing a cpu cooler, not sure about the gpu. What do you guys reccommend?
Thanks.

Last edited by On2wheels; June 11, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old June 12, 2010, 12:32 AM
Banned
F@H

look up the speed of the fan, it tends to stay around 30-40 pct even if it gets scorching.

usually those are really easy to install. do it on a crap older card so if your hand slips whatever.
Old June 12, 2010, 01:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Instructions are usually included on how to install. There are probably videos on youtube and other info around the web you can check out.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old June 12, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here you go: YouTube - How to Apply Silver Thermal Compound to 9600GT GPU

Different card but same procedures.

-Plato
Old June 13, 2010, 12:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks for posting jcmaz, great video.
I've since talked to a retailer who had the cooler in stock, and either he just wants to sell me a new card, or he's just being honest, but he didn't think spending the money on an old 8800 was worth it. I can see his point, and if I did try to sell the card, I think I'll have more luck if I leave it stock.
I've moved the pc downstairs where the ambient temp today was 18C. Then, by using EVGA Precision, increasing fan gpu fan speed to 40% at idle, the gpu temp is stable at 51c. But this little tweak prog may have discovered something: When I set the fan to 50% and run GTA4, the gpu max temp only goes to 72c. That would mean when the fan speed is set to automatic, and I'm seeing peak temps in the 80s, that the fan isn't going up nearly as high as it should. I'll do more testing and see, but for now I'm happy with these temps, and didn't spend any extra money on it.
Old June 13, 2010, 12:12 AM
Banned
F@H

thats a good guy, coming from someone who wants to sell you stuff lol.