Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Guides & How-to's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/)
-   -   Tip of the day. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/3310-tip-day.html)

Squeetard November 17, 2007 04:33 PM

Tip of the day.

Hey mods, how about we sticky a thread(this one) for quick posting whatever handy little tidbits we come across?

I'm going to start by going a little off topic here but it's a goodie.

Most stores have a 30 day no hassle return policy, I use Future shop lots because of this. Shopping for a new monitor? Don't stand there in the store staring at them and wondering. I'll buy all 3, take them home, use them for a month and return the 2 I don't want. Heck, I did this with 3 42" HD plasmas and never had a stitch of trouble. My living room looked like a nerds wet dream, especially with Jessica Alba (into the blue) on all 3.
I digress, sigh, I'll get to my point in a minute.

Troubleshooting? Go buy a router, ram, power supply etc... Find the problem and return the parts you don't need.

Been a die hard PC gamer for 15 years now. I'd get pissed at some of the games being released as console only. Until one day I got even. Grabbed an xbox 360 last january with all the goodies, rented Halo, gears of war and finished them, returned the unit.

Did this again with the PS3 last week, played Resistance, ratchet and clank and am currently 1 hour into Assasins Creed (Loving this game!). Kinda wished I did this when there wasn't suck a glut of awesome pc games out but they can wait.

Well? what are you waiting for!

Babrbarossa November 17, 2007 04:50 PM

Hehe- or if you really want to get nasty with the ol F.S., buy one of their higher-end computers and swap out the Q6600 for your old e4300, take one of the three sticks of ram, one of the two hard drives, and swap the 8800 GTS for a 7600- then take it back in the box- the person at the customer service would look to see that the major parts were all there, but wouldn't look too close because they don't really know or care.

Disclaimer: Do not do this ;-) Imagining the perfect crime is not the same as acting it out.

I did "borrow" one of their higher end digital SLR cameras for my wedding though- it fulfilled our "something borrowed" requisite

Squeetard November 17, 2007 05:00 PM

I don't want to advocate that sort of behavior! I am an IT contractor and all the geeks there know me and they never question my returns or look in the boxes. I'd hate to spoil that trust and it would not bode well for my business reputation to try and pull a stunt like that.

But you knock yourself out!

I've seen them go over high priced returns pretty closely but not when the store is busy and there is a lineup at the counter.

When my GTS blew up I was seriously considering buying a GTX and then returning it with my broken GTS in the box, those serial number stickers swap easily.

I decided against it though as that is just wrong, or maybe they had no GTX's, you decide :ph34r:

Jmac November 18, 2007 02:51 PM

I always make use of the 30-day return policies (and 30-day price protection) of various stores. Costco is my favourite, though, bar none.

I buy an air conditioner from them every June and return it every October ;)

Squeetard November 19, 2007 11:01 AM

hahahaha, awesome jmac. Ima try that.

b1lk1 November 19, 2007 11:32 AM

Nothing personal guys, but practices like this are what keeps prices artificially high. Again, I am not attacking any of you and in my perfect world (read: sarcasm) I don't do or condone things like this. To each their own.

Squeetard November 19, 2007 12:13 PM

Not really, they mark them down $5 and toss them back on the shelves as open box. Plus, you need to price match EVERYTHING so as to pay the best price going.

Squeetard November 19, 2007 07:44 PM

Todays tip.

You know how stores don't take back opened software, they only exchange it. All you have to do then is take it in, say its damaged, get a replacement and then take the unopened replacement back a few days later.:doh:

darkorb November 19, 2007 09:40 PM

we gots our own shrink wrap machine :D

Supergrover November 19, 2007 09:44 PM

I dont like where this topic is going and dont see it getting Stuck anytime soon.