Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
It is simple math really. Take the number of wires you are using. 24 + 8 + 6 + 8 + 5 + 5 + 4 = 60. Then multiply by how many feet the cables are. Unless you cut them yourself or extend them, most power supply cables are 2 feet. So generally you need at least 120 feet plus waste. Which I would buy at least 10 feet extra. This is assuming of course you are sleeving all the way back to the power supply, which a lot of people do not. Then add a few meters of heatshrink. And shipping. You are looking at about 55 euros. Which is about $75CAD. This is also assuming you don't need to sleeve your sata cables.
Thanks!
Old June 24, 2010, 12:13 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think you would be better off purchasing the sleeve-kit as opposed to purchasing 40 meters of small sleeving. Get the sleeve kit for 36 euros and add an additional 10 euros for color sleeving/heatshrink. With the kit you at least get some additional sleeving and heatshrink of different sizes.
Old June 24, 2010, 12:47 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.t View Post
I think you would be better off purchasing the sleeve-kit as opposed to purchasing 40 meters of small sleeving. Get the sleeve kit for 36 euros and add an additional 10 euros for color sleeving/heatshrink. With the kit you at least get some additional sleeving and heatshrink of different sizes.
Don't agree at all. Unless you don't individually sleeve all the way back to the power supply. There is no need for different sizes if you sleeve every wire individually.
Old June 24, 2010, 02:28 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Don't agree at all. Unless you don't individually sleeve all the way back to the power supply. There is no need for different sizes if you sleeve every wire individually.
So from what you are suggesting pay 53.30 for 40m (small sleeving) and 4m (small heatshrink) as opposed to 56.95 for what I recommended:

-5m sata sleeving + heatshrink
-2m big sleeving + heatshrink
-40m small sleeving + 4m heatshrink

I wouldn't mind paying an additional 3 euros for the additional sleeving just in case i needed it. A kit is provided because it offers more not less.
Old June 24, 2010, 07:50 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.t View Post
So from what you are suggesting pay 53.30 for 40m (small sleeving) and 4m (small heatshrink) as opposed to 56.95 for what I recommended:

-5m sata sleeving + heatshrink
-2m big sleeving + heatshrink
-40m small sleeving + 4m heatshrink

I wouldn't mind paying an additional 3 euros for the additional sleeving just in case i needed it. A kit is provided because it offers more not less.
What the eff.... Shipping is substantially cheaper w/ the kit. Shame they only come in black.
Old July 16, 2010, 07:11 AM
Rookie

I figured i should just post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I was looking on MDPC-X and i was just wondering do the sleeving tools come with the sleeving kit or do u have to purchase them separately?
Old July 16, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

You need to purchase them seperatly. Although, you do not need them to remove the cables. For my 24Pin, 8Pin, PCI-E etc. cables, I just used two staples to remove them.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:10 AM
Rookie

good to know i will have to look into that method instead of buying the tools
Old July 16, 2010, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -InfiniteLoop- View Post
good to know i will have to look into that method instead of buying the tools
I used staples etc and then decided to order Nils crimpers and removal tools . I don't regret the purchase one bit all are top quality and work flawlessly with minimal effort. well wort buying
Old July 16, 2010, 11:02 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post

I used staples etc and then decided to order Nils crimpers and removal tools . I don't regret the purchase one bit all are top quality and work flawlessly with minimal effort. well wort buying
I found the MDPC tool rather weak actually. Since the pins don't bend they break rather easily. The Sunbeam Tech one is much more resilient.