Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Undervolting AMD laptops (Turion + Athlon X2) & overclocking w/ CnQ

UPDATE: Seemingly, this program also supports the latest AMD mobile Phenoms, II series, V series and Fusion (E2, A2, A4, A6 and A8 series) series.

This is a simple guide to explain how undervolt griffin platform AMD notebooks with the application k10stat found here: Software (K10stat)
Another useful guide can found here, which covers pretty much the same stuff: Aspire Gemstone: K10STAT AMD Griffin Processor UnderVolting Guide
Intel notebooks have RMClock and Notebook Hardware Control and for a while I thought AMD owners got the shaft with a mediocre performing AMD laptop that runs hotter than it should.

I know this is an enthusiast oriented forum, but I'm sure most of you have used or maybe owned such laptops for work/everyday purposes because although they aren't super hot (actually...), they were affordable and ubiquitous. So maybe one you use is on the toastier side... This program also works with desktop cpu's, and in reading this guide you will figure out quite quickly how it could be used to overclock.

This program works with Turion X2 (ZM/RM), Athlon X2 (QL) and Sempron SL's. Anything older, I believe works with RM Clock, though don't quote me. I had thought I've read about newer Turion II's working with this but again.. don't quote me. This program also works with XP, Vista and 7, and their 32/64 bit varieties, supposedly (can only test Vista and XP 32).

You will need 3 other simple apps to affirm the undervolting works: CPUZ, HW Monitor (or other program to monitor CPU Temps) and a stress test program of your choice.
For this case I used Orthos, it was simplist for me.

Firstly, if your laptop runs particularly hot I recommend cleaning the heatsink and fan, or possibly applying high performance thermal compound. That being said I must also say:
This guide is for entertainment and information only. I am not responsible for any damage done to your notebook.

The benefits are straight forward. Lower temperatures, means quieter fan, means better battery life. Presumably less ware on hardware. I wont be testing battery because frankly, I'm too lazy.
First things first, I recommend getting an idea of what your temps are first- See what they are after 5 mins of idling and 5mins of load. For the sake of this guide mine are:
Idle: 45 C. Load: 80 C. The test actually stopped because it got too hot. Yes, my fan is clean. It is a 13" hp... This is why I undervolt LOL. For more depth, you could test the temps of each P-state.

This is the main page of the program which displays information about your processor. Some of it is straightforward, and some of it is way beyond me. I have noticed it to be a bit delayed when things change, so I trust cpuz to be quicker.

Name:  mainp.JPG
Views: 22927
Size:  44.0 KB

This is the tab that counts. Here we can edit P-states (meaning "Power states."). NOTE: Turions have 3 P-states, others have 2.
NOTE: Even though CPUz shows the frequency of the processor increasing/decreasing when you change the FID, it will not actually change. How do I know this? 5 GHZ stable on stock volts... or even at all...C'mon! Why CPUZ thinks its changing, I don't know, maybe newer versions wont display this, but mine does. Might make for some funny screenshots.

Name:  k10pstat.jpg
Views: 22805
Size:  68.8 KB

Alright, so to identify your processor's lowest possible voltage of each P-state, we'll start with the lowest. Select the lowest P-state and lock each core to said state as shown. Be sure to hit APPLY or it will not change.
Name:  test.JPG
Views: 24678
Size:  68.4 KB
Confirm with CPUz the cores are locked. Run your stress testing program. Begin lowering the voltage one notch at a time, waiting a min or 2 to test. If you select an unstable voltage the computer will simply crash and you will likely have to do a hard shutdown. See if the next lowest voltage is stable. At this low P-state you might hit the minimum 0.75 and remain stable. Let the stress test go for as long as you like until you feel it is stable. If crashing occurs during normal use, you likely need to increase the voltage. Continue working your way up the P-states until you find stable voltages for them all. I went from
P-0: 1.1v to 0.9875v
P-1: 0.95v to 0.75v
P-2: 0.8v to 0.75v
The highest clocked state gave me the most trouble, as lower voltages were stable for most simple tasks but it would still crash every 30mins or so. Consequently I increased the voltage.

So my temps on Idle and Load became: 40 C and 71 C. The load test was able to complete itself this time, with 9 C better. Though I don't believe laptops should be stressed excessively due to their poor cooling, as well most things don't put the cpu at 100% load, hence the 5min stress test. Something more real world like WoW averages 60% load of the cpu and hangs around 65 C, where the fan usually wont ramp up thanks to undervolting. Because 1ghz and 500mhz run at the same electrical espense, I blocked out 500mhz by setting the transitory 'up%' to '1' and the 'down%' to '0'. This seems to keep it at 1ghz when idle.

To run K10Stat automatically, just use windows task sheduler to run it as a startup item. This will create a k10stat.dat in the 'system32' folder to reference preferences. This will also load k10stat with default preferences until otherwise is saved. ALSO NOTE: If the computer crashes while K10Stat is running, it will not load it again on startup (at least not in XP). It must be started manually.

Inserting the following command line at the end of the target line will have the following effects:
-lp:# (Loads profiles 1,2,3,4, or 5).
-StayOnTray (Keeps k10stat taskbar item)
-nw (Loads without dialogue window)
-ClkCtrl:# (Loads Clock control settings 0, 1, 2, 3, 4)
0: No control
1: Clock control enabled: unganged mode- cores function independantly.
2: Control both cores based on the highest loaded core.
3: Control both cores based on the average load of both cores.
4: Control both cores based on the lowest loaded core.
You will need to select some form of clock control or the laptop changes the P-states as it decides, not your preferences.
So for example ("C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\K10STAT\K10STAT.exe" -StayOnTray -nw -ClkCtrl:1 -lp:1) would load k10stat on startup with a tray item, no dialogue window, on profile one with unganged core control.

So, you can see how this would allow you to run overclocked with cool and quiet inside windows.

There's my little tutorial, hope it helps someone. Remember, different cpu's overclock (and thus undervolt) differently. I only found one other guide to this program which was thorough but just...longer and missed a few small things, so I thought I'd try and help propogate it.

Last edited by clone63; April 8, 2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: updated
Old April 11, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well my AMD Turion is under clocked by using window vista's "Power Processor Management" which can be founded under the power option -> Settings
Old April 11, 2010, 10:49 PM
Top Prospect

but you may still be able to lower the voltage more.
windows defaults are generally at a basic setting which leaves room for improvement.
Old April 11, 2010, 11:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Cozmo is right, windows won't control the P-states voltage, only the P-states it uses.
Even if it keeps it at say, 500mhz @ 0.8 volts, you could run 500mhz at 0.75 volts (or in between). If you are always using the lowest P-state, undervolting doesn't have a huge point except eeking out battery life.
It is more useful if you actually need processing power and use your range of P-states. Heck, if your cpu undervolts well enough, you might be able to forgot about throttling it down to the lowest P-state and work at full speeds and be almost as cool+quiet as the low ones.
Old April 12, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Clone63,
You have a ZM-82 CPU in there? (what it looks like by the voltages)
This is interesting info, thanks for taking the time to post it.

I also use K10STAT to undervolt my Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 2.2GHZ (550mhz,1100mhz & 2200mhz).

I run these voltages:
550mhz= 0.75v
1100mhz= 0.80v
2200mhz= 1.05v (might stability test it to drop even more)

My laptop in sig, although a nice little machine, runs HOT while gaming. Of course, it's not a formal gaming laptop, but the HD4650 1Gig GDDR3 is potent enough to play COD4 & COD5 at med-high and Half-life 2 at pretty much med-high also (at 1366 x 768).

While gaming, at stock volts, the CPU's temp raises to 92-94 degrees Celsius. With the undervolt, temps are reaching 85-86 degrees Celsius.

I sent my laptop a few times to HP to try to get them to upgrade me to a Turion II, but to no avail.

The thing that helped me the most after K10STAT is WINDOWS 7!!!
Windows 7 has a lot better way to manage the resources, with less processes in the background, makes better use of the P-state "throttling"...Win 7 is a winner in my book!!!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old April 12, 2010, 06:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That's very good to know Delevan! I run XP so I'd imagine that's still better than Vista. Anything would run lighter than Vista... But XP has pretty lowsy power options, if it weren't for K10Stat, I'd be conserving nothing.
Those temps are high.. You might consider applying AS5 or mx2 or something to CPU and GPU, if you're comfortable with it. Perhaps the heatsink is not seated well or just an inferior unit. I wouldn't be surprised if HP just cleaned it out and sent it back without further diagnosis. My only other guess would be a 4650 generates a lot more heat than an integrated chip, which is stifling the heat transfer through the heatpipe.
Would have been pretty neat getting a free upgrade from HP, though the Turion II's use a newer socket, they'd pretty much have to give you new laptop. Nice HDD in there.
Oh, I've got a zm-80 btw
Old April 13, 2010, 03:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well,

If you still run XP, you might want to try AMD FUSION utility (the mobility one), it can be used to shut down background processes that you don't use, to lower CPU usage...
I find that Win7 pretty much takes care of it's own in that regard.
First time I sent it in, the tech wrote "problem found, replicated and fixed"...they changed the HDD??? LOL
Also, they load the wrong drive image (a Vista Hp 32 with QL-65 CPU in device manager) they're tards.
Second time, same thing the tech wrote...but they changed the HSF (or so they say....).
Wehn the warranty will be over, this summer I MIGHT open it and re-apply TIM...I MIGHT...seems to be quite the PITA to open a lappy.

Anyway, an HP so-called engineer wrote me and stated that "It's OK to run this CPU at 100 degrees celsius ,they're meant for that" I just LOLLED.

You're probably right about the 4650. Both CPU and GPU are sharing the same HSF and it adds up.
GPU-Z doesn't give me crazy temps for the 4650 tho.

Anyway, good laptop and all, but if I game with it, it's undervolting/cooling pad.
I'll re-install the same game I was running (COD5) and re-install K10STAT (just got my laptop back from HP tech servicing), drop the volts on my P2 state and report back on the temps!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old April 13, 2010, 11:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I only knew of AMD fusion "for gaming", didn't think there was a mobile version, but I guess the function is pretty much the same.
Changed HDD? That's pathetic.
TIM replacement can be as simple (I guess) as taking off - keyboard-palmrest-heatsinks. Can be as irritating as removing an upper bezel, keyboard, palmrest, screen, certain bottom based components to access screws, motherboard, THEN heatsinks. This laptop benefited maybe 1C from it... The only other laptop got 5C cooler, so my application method is the factor with that..

100C Haha, well.. I suppose it COULD last for years running like that but..... I doubt it.
Look forward to those temps!
Old April 16, 2010, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Clone63, if I'm not mistaking, your original post is more or less a "CLONE" of the original "aspiregemstone" post...

Aspire Gemstone: K10STAT AMD Griffin Processor UnderVolting Guide

It's good to post that link more, but it's this guy that mostly did the work...

Old April 16, 2010, 05:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah I guess so eh. I'll credit them at the start of my post. By the time I found that, I had gotten a handle on most of this stuff and just skimmed it except for the command line section I wrote down. Seems he/she covers same stuff, which makes my guide Unfun. Oh well, thanks for pointing that out. I still like my pictures more.