Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2010, 04:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default How to Format a HDD with the OS on it?

Hey guys, looking for a quick way to delete EVERYTHING from a HDD but the OS I had to buy windows 7 today (RC Expires soon) and I did a clean install but my HDD's were still full and everything I wanted I had put on a back up drive, so I wanted these drives to be Clean.

I formatted the one without a OS on it but how do I Delete everything from the other one without deleting the OS?

Thanks for any help guys.
Old February 28, 2010, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

take your time going through everything and delete it i have never heard of a way to format with out destroying everything on said hdd
Old February 28, 2010, 06:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the response mate, that is what I have ended up having to do.. wish there was a way to format without deleting OS. Oh well feels good to have a fresh computer lol.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:07 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

you mean zero fill all free space? I believe you can do that with this linux based boot cd that I forgot the name of... it's downstairs in my cd wallet I'm too lazy to get it, it's partition magic or gparted or parted mage or something like that...
Old February 28, 2010, 10:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks, did it the hard way in the end. All done now.
Old March 1, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

zero fill still will kill your data and install unless you have your os partitioned off to it's own section then zero fill sets the drives back to factory you can do this in windows linux is not needed hdtune and clleaner will zero fill too fyi but like i said this will still kill data on your drive
Old June 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
you mean zero fill all free space? I believe you can do that with this linux based boot cd that I forgot the name of... it's downstairs in my cd wallet I'm too lazy to get it, it's partition magic or gparted or parted mage or something like that...
yep it's a GNOME one called Gparted (and its variations). It's a partition editor that allows you to create, re-size and delete partitions. You can also re-format them to a different file system.

Simplest way (although you already done it) is to download it, put it onto a CD/USB flash drive then boot off that. Select your HDD, mark it for deletion and execute all the commands.
Old June 22, 2012, 02:29 PM
Allstar

Actually there is a program called WipeDrivePro (actually for home users it would be WipeDrive SystemSaver) which will do that for you. I've used it for businesses that want to keep the os and some programs (like Office) but have everything else wiped so that employees can take it home. Works great.

WipeDrive SystemSaver | WhiteCanyon Software

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 22, 2012, 10:56 PM
Rookie

do you think this will help against spyware thats infiltrated ur system and is crashing ur windows?
Old June 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
Allstar

Nope, you'd need to using malware and virus scanner programs. I'd recommend Malwarebytes, Combofix, and DrWeb CureIt to clean up any virus problems.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N