Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 07:32 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up De-bricking a Seagate 7200.11

Not my guide but a link to it here is worthy.

Seagate Bricked Firmware Drive Fix (With Pics) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

My 1TB drive bricked Monday evening. After mucking about with the Seagate RMA BS for a while, I did a search on the issue, and low and behold there was a guide to de-brick it. Seeing as it was a simple as attaching a couple of wires, connecting to the drive with hyperterminal and running a couple of commands, I gave it a shot. I just happened to have a whole bunch of RS-232 interfaces at work for our own production so it was just a matter of adapting it to connect to the drive and following the proceedure in the link. My first attempt failed for some reason, the drive came back with an error when I tried the spin up test, but the second try worked and I appear to have a working drive again.

EDIT: I got it home and it's not a brick anymore, but it's not working right either. I'll try some other stuff tomorrow to see if I can fully resurrect it.

EDIT2: It's ALIVE It's ALIVE!. Zero data loss, make sure you do step 13!

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; January 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old January 7, 2010, 01:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice work! Glad you got it back working.

I had bought 4 of the 7200.11 1TB drives for a WHS build and used the WHS folder duplication for redundancy. I then had a power outage before I hooked up my UPS and had 2 of the drives brick on me

I was mortified. I then began the search to find out how to get out this god awful hole and found a few ways out. One was the above mentioned tut, but I also found a guy that had the HD savior and he gained access to the drives and recovered them, then I flashed them.

Needless to say the whole thing left a pretty bad taste in my mouth as it cost me money to fix and scared the bejesus out of me and Seagate could have cared less really. Now I have one drive that will randomly drop out of WHS and reappear after restart. Really thinking about scrapping all four drives and moving on to 1.5TB Caviar Blues.