Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2011, 12:48 PM

My System Specs

If you cut an entire window w/ that nibbler your hands are going to be sore you won't be able to use them for days. I highly suggest the higher quality nibbler they sell. Bessey D23-BE Super Nibbler Tool Products Model: D23-BE [D23-BE] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Old May 6, 2011, 06:25 AM
Allstar

Great suggestion lowfat!

For custom wiring, you'll need a Soldering Gun or Wand

The ideal set up is this 40 watt "Soldering Station" by Weller (WLC100) $56.99 on Newegg
It hold your wand, for safety sake! You can adjust the Wattage. You can clean it on the included sponge, which
rids the tip of oxidation that builds up on its surface, which accumulates rather rapidly and becomes a corrosive agent that will eventually eat away at the tip and ruin it.

This WELLER 8200 is the type of Solder Gun I grew up with... A built-in light to illuminate your work, and heats up very quick with 100 - 140-Watts of heat.

This Blazer SI-100 Excalibur Multi purpose Butane Solder Wand / Torch Kit is great for mobility and has several different attachments for a variety of tasks. You can also reach tight spaces and be used for heat shrinking cooling fan wires and custom sleeved PSU cables. The only downside is you have to periodically refuel it with Butane Listed on Amazon

Old May 6, 2011, 06:38 PM
Allstar

A good SAE/Metric Hand Tap & Die Set will allow you to thread and repair stripped screw holes. For PC Modding & Repairs, I suggest purchasing a set that has tap sizes for 6/32 and 4/40 screws.

60 piece set for $39.99 on Harbor Freight

Old May 6, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
If you cut an entire window w/ that nibbler your hands are going to be sore you won't be able to use them for days. I highly suggest the higher quality nibbler they sell. Bessey D23-BE Super Nibbler Tool Products Model: D23-BE [D23-BE] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Having cut and installed a few windows in my day I have to say a jig saw is the only way to go. But yeah I would take that nibbler over the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 8, 2011, 06:02 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnpctech View Post
A good SAE/Metric Hand Tap & Die Set will allow you to thread and repair stripped screw holes. For PC Modding & Repairs, I suggest purchasing a set that has tap sizes for 6/32 and 4/40 screws.

Had to pay out of the a** for one of these locally. However I've had to re tap every single XSPC radiator I've purchased, so it is likely worth it.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:18 PM
MVP

I bought myself a set of mastercraft ones (probably nowhere near the quality as above mentioned) but canadian tire puts the set on fairly frequently...however, I have yet to be able to find a 6-32 NF tap or die
Old May 9, 2011, 12:36 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Had to pay out of the a** for one of these locally. However I've had to re tap every single XSPC radiator I've purchased, so it is likely worth it.
I've had to re tap Black Ice Radiators
Old May 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sorry for bringing back an old post but I thought my question would be best here.

Would this work for cutting acrylic/plexi?
Klein Tools - Quick Cutter Adjustable Hole Saw - 53731SEN - Home Depot Canada

i want to make a 140mm hole in a 0.80 piece of plexi.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:24 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
Sorry for bringing back an old post but I thought my question would be best here.

Would this work for cutting acrylic/plexi?
Klein Tools - Quick Cutter Adjustable Hole Saw - 53731SEN - Home Depot Canada

i want to make a 140mm hole in a 0.80 piece of plexi.
Yes.

You can also use a 5.5" size Hole Saw Attachment for installing 140mm fans (140mm = 5.51181")

Amazon has good selections for 5.5" "Bi-Metal" Hole Saw attachment for your Power drill, HERE

In order to use the Hole saw, you'll need an Arbor that fits your Powder Drill or Drill Press. Mine is 1/2"

Amazon.com: Lenox Tools 300033L Solid Shank Arbor for Hole Saw: Home Improvement

Old May 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply. I noticed the link you included at Modmenshow.com. but the problem is not all items will ship North.

Will any arbor fit any hole saw?

Im able to get this arbor
Amazon.com: Milwaukee 49-56-7140 7/16-Inch Quick Change Hole Saw Arbor: Home Improvement

and this Dewalt Hole saw.
Amazon.com: DEWALT D180088 5 1/2-Inch Hole Saw: Home Improvement

Im sure they will work together, but would appreciate the OK before placing an order.

NM. Shipping will cost me $35 on top of the tools... Im just going to go with this.
Mastercraft Circle Hole Cutter | Canadian Tire