Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2010, 07:55 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
guys you don't need slysoft to rip BR. FYI
When I wrote the guide you did. I've heard MakeMKV can do it now, which is free. Never tried it though so I have no idea how it works.
Old January 25, 2010, 10:35 PM
Top Prospect

Nice guide, but I have some questions to ask.

Which Blu-Ray reader are you using at the moment? I'm looking at the Liteon SATA drive at NCIX which is selling for $72. I'm thinking of picking that one up.

I just quickly read your guide and unless I'm mistaken, you're transcoding the audio tracks (i.e. Dolby True HD) to FLAC? May I ask why you're doing this? Wouldn't you want to rip the original video and audio streams and mux it into the MKV container? The only logical reason that I can see to your approach is to avoid the whole decoding problem by converting it to FLAC so that the receiver can easily decode the stream since the PC will just decode the FLAC stream in software. However, will FLAC support the 7.1 audio streams that exist in some BD discs?

If I'm wrong in any of my assessments, then please let me know. I'm trying to improve my understanding of this process so that I too can backup my Blu-Ray collection too.
Old January 26, 2010, 07:43 AM

My System Specs

You convert to FLAC because:
1.) There are currently no software decoders out there that will play TrueHD/DTS-HD Master properly.
2.) Size of the audio track is considerably smaller after converting, yet still maintaining a lossless track.

If you are using a Popcorn Hour or have a HTPC capable of bitstreaming you could likely leave the audio track as is, but since I have neither I have never tried it.
Old January 27, 2010, 11:46 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You convert to FLAC because:
1.) There are currently no software decoders out there that will play TrueHD/DTS-HD Master properly.
2.) Size of the audio track is considerably smaller after converting, yet still maintaining a lossless track.

If you are using a Popcorn Hour or have a HTPC capable of bitstreaming you could likely leave the audio track as is, but since I have neither I have never tried it.
You didn't answer my question in regards to the Blu-Ray reader. Which one are you using? Does it matter which one I buy? LG or Liteon?
Old January 28, 2010, 01:25 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
You didn't answer my question in regards to the Blu-Ray reader. Which one are you using? Does it matter which one I buy? LG or Liteon?
I use both. I've had less problems w/ the Liteon. The LG BD/HDDVD combo drive wouldn't read 2-3 BDs and a good 10+ HD-DVD's.
Old January 28, 2010, 06:11 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I use an liteon, an early model and it works perfectly.
Old January 28, 2010, 06:49 AM
MVP
F@H

There is a great little program called RipBot which does all this with a GUI. It's fairly easy to use and there are lots of tutorials around as well.