Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2009, 08:52 AM
MVP
F@H

I'm not quite sure what that is! However I may learn in time. As I've learned tons from this thread alone.
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old August 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Some things to learn for a newby.. Squee, if I ever find you, I'll have to shoot you.. I swore by no SSD, but it looks like I might be going for one soon.

MpG.. Sorry to threadjack, but since the 1 vs 2 is discussed here, if I were to go for a single SSD, would I see a noticeable performance difference on a 64GB vs a 32GB SSD.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 17, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't think so. OCZ rates their Vertex's with a slightly higher sustained write speeds for the 60GB versus the 30, but the burst speeds are still the same. The larger 120 and 250GB drives have more channels, so they've got higher transfer speeds.
Old August 17, 2009, 09:47 AM

My System Specs

RAID0 Might benefit nicely in benchmarks, but it gets no where near double the performance in real world tasks. RAID-0 was the hot shit when SSD's were first out any everyone was doing it. People are starting to realize that the performance isn't there. To take advantage of RAID0 you really need a high-end Areca controller (every other manufacturers add considerable latency). On ICH10R, games, photoshop, Windows bootup, general application launching there was almost zero increase in speed when I went w/ a 2nd drive. I have my doubt that when the other two X25-M's arrive that it will add any performance (under these tasks) until I get myself a good Areca card. However if you are transferring files, or working w/ videos obviously the added throughput of RAID0 will help. But in these tasks, HDD's are just as good.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
I wouldn't think so. OCZ rates their Vertex's with a slightly higher sustained write speeds for the 60GB versus the 30, but the burst speeds are still the same. The larger 120 and 250GB drives have more channels, so they've got higher transfer speeds.
Thanks .. I was more looking to find a deal on a 60 or 64gb if possible, gonna do as others do, use the SSD for OS, games.. and the 2 x 640gb for storage..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 17, 2009, 10:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
RAID0 Might benefit nicely in benchmarks, but it gets no where near double the performance in real world tasks. RAID-0 was the hot shit when SSD's were first out any everyone was doing it. People are starting to realize that the performance isn't there. To take advantage of RAID0 you really need a high-end Areca controller (every other manufacturers add considerable latency). On ICH10R, games, photoshop, Windows bootup, general application launching there was almost zero increase in speed when I went w/ a 2nd drive. I have my doubt that when the other two X25-M's arrive that it will add any performance (under these tasks) until I get myself a good Areca card. However if you are transferring files, or working w/ videos obviously the added throughput of RAID0 will help. But in these tasks, HDD's are just as good.

I disagree, 2 striped SSD's get 10 seconds for Win 7 load time, single gets 22 and a Raptor gets 30 in a benchmark I saw last week but can't find again. Game loads are no where near double but definitely faster.
Old August 17, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^games load much faster for me all ssd's data and install and like lowfat said with media transcoding and the like the speed up is pretty good over all
Old August 17, 2009, 04:06 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
^games load much faster for me all ssd's data and install and like lowfat said with media transcoding and the like the speed up is pretty good over all
You never used a single SSD really though, correct? You went pretty much straight to 2.