Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Sleeving :)

Well by the looks of things I'll be building a new computer in about a month, I was planning on ordering the case and PSU early to paint the case and sleeve everything prior to. I've ready guides and such and by the looks of it I need to buy.

- murderMod MDPC-X Psychopack | Sleeving Kits | murderMod
- Pin extractor? From MM or ncix? The sunbeam one looks decent as it has ones for several types of connectors.

Also given that I've never done this before, but I do catch on quickly. How much time would sleeving an entire PSU take (Probably the HX1000).
Old August 10, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From what I've heard staples work much better than pin extractors If I was going to buy one I'd get the MM one for sure, all that NCIX stocks is the Sunbeam kit and something else and both of them fail. Staples may hurt a bit but they work better, are replaceable, and are cheap.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Well by the looks of things I'll be building a new computer in about a month, I was planning on ordering the case and PSU early to paint the case and sleeve everything prior to. I've ready guides and such and by the looks of it I need to buy.

- murderMod MDPC-X Psychopack | Sleeving Kits | murderMod
- Pin extractor? From MM or ncix? The sunbeam one looks decent as it has ones for several types of connectors.

Also given that I've never done this before, but I do catch on quickly. How much time would sleeving an entire PSU take (Probably the HX1000).
Your going to be looking at a lot of hours and days if you wish to individually sleeve all cables on a PSU.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say days. As in 3 or 4, a couple of hours a night. Your fingers will get awfully sore if you do more than that. At least mine do. Plan your runs, and only do the cables you need. I'd be tempted to get the MM extractor, I've got the sunbeam set, and it ain't great. The "staple trick" does work too. Get a cheap heat gun at Crappy Tire or Princess Auto or somewhere. A hair dryer doesn't cut it. Don't use a lighter, they put soot on your heatshrink. Although a lighter is handy for melting the ends of the sleeving so it doesn't unravel, if you don't have a hot knife.
Old August 10, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah, sleeving is a pain in the ass! I'm quite mad, I put my extractor tool in, and pulled the wire, and the wire came right out of the molex plug! I can't get it back in, or get the molex plug out either......... ;(
Old August 10, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright I'll buy a heatgun, CT has a 90 dollar one on sale for $35 with adjustable digital temp settings. I'll also grab the MM one if it's supposed to be better, no harm in making it easier.

Thanks for the time frame, my hands will hurt no doubt, but I plan to leave a lot of free time....in theory lol. Yeah I'll only do the cables I need to for now, sure gonna be some work though
Old August 10, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Don't bother with a heatgun.

Get a small butane torch as they work way better and faster.
Old August 13, 2009, 02:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How would I go about removing molex connectors? Staples work with those as well?
Old August 14, 2009, 10:01 AM

My System Specs

I bought one from NCIX. Around $5 or something.
Old August 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ordered a Psycho-pack myself yesterday. My fingers are cramping up already in anticipation.