Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Guides & How-to's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/)
-   -   Sleeving :) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/21775-sleeving.html)

JMCD August 10, 2009 04:54 PM

Sleeving :)

Well by the looks of things I'll be building a new computer in about a month, I was planning on ordering the case and PSU early to paint the case and sleeve everything prior to. I've ready guides and such and by the looks of it I need to buy.

- murderMod MDPC-X Psychopack | Sleeving Kits | murderMod
- Pin extractor? From MM or ncix? The sunbeam one looks decent as it has ones for several types of connectors.

Also given that I've never done this before, but I do catch on quickly. How much time would sleeving an entire PSU take (Probably the HX1000).

Sushi Warrior August 10, 2009 05:11 PM

From what I've heard staples work much better than pin extractors If I was going to buy one I'd get the MM one for sure, all that NCIX stocks is the Sunbeam kit and something else and both of them fail. Staples may hurt a bit but they work better, are replaceable, and are cheap.

enaberif August 10, 2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCD (Post 238242)
Well by the looks of things I'll be building a new computer in about a month, I was planning on ordering the case and PSU early to paint the case and sleeve everything prior to. I've ready guides and such and by the looks of it I need to buy.

- murderMod MDPC-X Psychopack | Sleeving Kits | murderMod
- Pin extractor? From MM or ncix? The sunbeam one looks decent as it has ones for several types of connectors.

Also given that I've never done this before, but I do catch on quickly. How much time would sleeving an entire PSU take (Probably the HX1000).

Your going to be looking at a lot of hours and days if you wish to individually sleeve all cables on a PSU.

SugarJ August 10, 2009 05:59 PM

I'd say days. As in 3 or 4, a couple of hours a night. Your fingers will get awfully sore if you do more than that. At least mine do. Plan your runs, and only do the cables you need. I'd be tempted to get the MM extractor, I've got the sunbeam set, and it ain't great. The "staple trick" does work too. Get a cheap heat gun at Crappy Tire or Princess Auto or somewhere. A hair dryer doesn't cut it. Don't use a lighter, they put soot on your heatshrink. Although a lighter is handy for melting the ends of the sleeving so it doesn't unravel, if you don't have a hot knife.

Phobia August 10, 2009 06:01 PM

Yeah, sleeving is a pain in the ass! I'm quite mad, I put my extractor tool in, and pulled the wire, and the wire came right out of the molex plug!:shok: I can't get it back in, or get the molex plug out either......... ;(

JMCD August 10, 2009 06:11 PM

Alright I'll buy a heatgun, CT has a 90 dollar one on sale for $35 with adjustable digital temp settings. I'll also grab the MM one if it's supposed to be better, no harm in making it easier.

Thanks for the time frame, my hands will hurt no doubt, but I plan to leave a lot of free time....in theory lol. Yeah I'll only do the cables I need to for now, sure gonna be some work though

enaberif August 10, 2009 07:02 PM

Don't bother with a heatgun.

Get a small butane torch as they work way better and faster.

JMCD August 13, 2009 02:49 AM

How would I go about removing molex connectors? Staples work with those as well?

lowfat August 14, 2009 10:01 AM

I bought one from NCIX. Around $5 or something.

SugarJ August 14, 2009 11:30 AM

Ordered a Psycho-pack myself yesterday. My fingers are cramping up already in anticipation.