Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Removing Parts from Your COmputer

Can anyone explain to me the procedures and precautions on removing parts from your computer? Say computer rebuild??? Plz spread your knowledge w/ the noobs. :)

Any help will be appreciated!!!

THX

-Plato
Old July 15, 2009, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Turn off PSU at the back but leave it plugged in. From that point on, the PSU grounds the entire case and no problems with static. Just make sure that anytime you approach the computer you stand still, then touch the metal of the case - don't scuff your feet around.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I find it is best to turn off the psu. I then remove the power cord from the psu. Finally, I hit the power button to drain any residual electricity from the capacitors. I have seen in cases that even with the power supply disconnected from the power source, I sometimes get a little flicker from the motherboard led.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 16, 2009, 04:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

leave the power supply plug in electricity takes the easiest root folks so by leaving the power supply plugged in it's grounded.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Grounding yourself is really important like they explained above. Go on youtube. You'll find tons of video of people building computer or changing parts. That way, you'll realize that there's really nothing that hard about building a comp.
Old July 16, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
I find it is best to turn off the psu. I then remove the power cord from the psu. Finally, I hit the power button to drain any residual electricity from the capacitors. I have seen in cases that even with the power supply disconnected from the power source, I sometimes get a little flicker from the motherboard led.
That's all fine, as long as you put the power cord back into the PSU immediately after doing what you described....
Old July 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
leave the power supply plug in electricity takes the easiest root folks so by leaving the power supply plugged in it's grounded.
+1; If you unplug your computer completely and place it on something not grounded (e.g. carpet) then you've almost defeated the purpose of "grounding" yourself to the PSU or case.
I'd leave the power plug in as much as possible. If the PSU is of a pesky type that doesn't have an on/off switch, you can disconnect the 20-24 pin header so nothing in the computer remains powered (IIRC the PSU only gives its full 12V and 5V if the computer is "on" or was jumpstarted). Or you can use my other crazy method and connect the ungrounded computer to something that is grounded using some wire.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's not the fact of being grounded guys, it's the fact of being at the same potential as your computer parts. Current only flows if there's a difference in potential between two objects, so having either the PSU plugged in or not doesn't make a difference. All you have to do is touch your case because all your parts are at SOME potential already. You want to be at the same potential as the parts!

1) Turn off the PSU, and leave it in. Press the power button on your computer to discharge the capacitors. Take it out (this is entirely up to you. I just disconnect everything).
2) Touch a metal part of the case, and unscrew all necessary case sides to make sure you can get rid of any wires in the way.
3) Touch the heatsink/case whatever just to double check, then begin taking out the easy parts like video card, sound card, NIC. Remember to disconnect the power cables from each device beforehand.
4) I tend to leave hard drives and optical drives last, depending on orientation and available space.
5) If you have room, you won't have to worry about removing the heatsink to take out the motherboard, otherwise remove it and then take out the mother board.
6) REMEMBER TO KEEP TOUCHING THE CASE SHOULD YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TOUCHING YOUR ELECTRONICS. Simple as that.

You can work on carpet too, just don't move too much. I do it and nothing has fried YET. I just TOUCH THE CASE whenever I add/remove a device.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Does touching work on a painted case, cause they all painted inside out, only screws are bare metal.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm exactly the same as Bojangles....carpet n all!!!