Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2009, 05:12 PM
Rookie

Question Paypal, EMT, shed some light please.

Hey guys, I've been eying a few things in the for sale section so I am going to need some help with a few things.

Details first, I'm a student, have a TD bank checking and savings accounts. All of my money is currently in the checking account. Also have a TD credit card which I prefer not to use.

1. Interac Email Money Transfer is EMT right, and it seems pretty straightforward, is it only domestic or can it also be sent to the US?

2. Getting paypal, I'm assuming the personal account is better since most sellers want non CC accounts? How do you register paypal with your checking account? Do people do that? Also can someone explain these fees to me?

Quote:
Free when the money comes from PayPal balance or bank account.

2.9% + $0.30 USD
when the money comes from a debit or credit card or PayPal Credit
(the sender decides who pays this fee).
- source

Whats the difference between paypal balance/bank account and debit? Wouldn't that money come from exactly the same account?

3. What is the best way to pay with paypal for goods coming from the US, lets say someone is asking for $100USD for a HD4870, is it best to pay with 115CAD or 100USD, and should it be paid for service, or goods or whatever the other options are?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help a fellow canuck out
Old July 15, 2009, 05:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

1. I think you can only do it within Canada. Though I don't really know for sure.

2. I have no idea about PayPal's fees; I think you get nailed no matter what... It's the reason why most people avoid accepting it all together. On my PayPal account I have it attached to my Mastercard and that's all fine and well. I buy from US stores all the time without issue. PayPal's conversion is a bit lower than the actual current exchange rate and the person accepting it pays the fees, you don't. Don't have my bank account hooked up to it but it takes a week or 2 before the funds will show up I believe which isn't too ideal if you dealing with time-restricted things.

3. On PayPal, I'd send just send it as USD and for Goods, unless the seller agrees to you paying in CAD.
Old July 17, 2009, 04:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Interac Email Money Transfer, yes, is EMT. Whenever I accept an EMT, I only see Canadian banks in the quick options, but I think it can goto US banks, not entirely sure on that one. But if you can, EMT is always the best way to go, incredibly fast, right into your bank account, safe & secure. No dispute tools like Paypal, as far as I know, but haven't had an issue with this yet.

For paypal, I have a personal account, verified with my bank account with my credit card added. That allows me to make instant purchases, which come out of my bank account after 5-7 days of processing time. The reason you can do this is because when they take the money out 7 days after the purchase, and it's declined, they just default back to your CC. Works like a charm. If you're buying things with PP, then you can make the seller pay for the fees. When I'm selling, I add 4% for paypal purchases, to cover the cost of their fees.

Transferring to and from your bank account iirc is 30 cents per transfer. Takes between 5-7 days according to the site. When I transfer money from paypal to my account, if I do it Monday AM, it's there by Wednesday AM usually.

If you're buying from the US, I usually use Paypal and just send in US funds, easiest way, yeah you get hit a bit with PP's shitty exchange, but it's usually not horrible.
Old July 18, 2009, 12:24 AM
Rookie

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it.