Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2009, 02:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by probationer View Post
Oh that's the other thing, dot expect just because you have enough upload that you can run a server (yes you know who you are Mr ADSL2+) , ping is king you need a very low latency connection aka fiber to run anything bigger than 10 (the magic number again) without encountering numerous complaints about lag and choke.
Very good. You jumped the gun before I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
how can i put bots in my server?

THX
I don't know off the bat. bot_add or use mani/source mods bot add function. To remove just kick them.

Quote:
Side note, the increase in cpu power required for 100 tick vs 66 is quite substantial and pretty much not worth doing when you have anything more than 10-12 players (especially over internet the ping time makes the increase almost meaningless). IMO 100tick should be reserved for clan match servers and 66 for pubs.

• Always minimize your client when it is running for some reason the memory will sit a lot higher when it is displayed to try this out run a server for a couple hours, then minimize it watch the memory shrink, yes it will come back up but no where near as high
  • Remember to assign srcds to a specific affinity, it is yet to properly utilise more than one core, yes the orange box srcds is meant to however the performance vs 1 core assignment is shite.

Good guide to get people going The Guy .
Thanks for the encouragement, and I will add that to the FAQ. Yeah plus 33 - 66 is night and day but 100 is for build servers + zm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
If I had a better upload rate I'd Soooooooo be using Behemoth for hosting my own server Right Now. Anyone know of how I could get this from videotron easily? I'm capped a 1Mbps Up-speed and 9Mbps down....
As for that try a different plan (ie: one up) then ask them if you can trade some download for upload. Also go in with other providers plans and threaten to change providers if it comes down to that.

Last edited by The Guy; July 6, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old July 6, 2009, 02:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

One essential tool to run with SourceMod is SourceBans database, it makes keeping your pub clean of hacker,whiners and general trouble makers. My database had around 3-4K bans before I shut down after running a 48 slot server for 2 years in Australia. SourceBans | Global admin and ban management for the Source engine (nothing to do with SteamBans which also may come in handy in NA, pretty useless down under).
Old July 6, 2009, 02:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
One essential tool to run with SourceMod is SourceBans database, it makes keeping your pub clean of hacker,whiners and general trouble makers. My database had around 3-4K bans before I shut down after running a 48 slot server for 2 years in Australia. SourceBans | Global admin and ban management for the Source engine (nothing to do with SteamBans which also may come in handy in NA, pretty useless down under).
That is a pretty good tool although I find it harsh to ban on player on one server then every other server bans him, without a second chance. By any chance he hacks again then he should be banned server wide.
Old July 6, 2009, 03:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Sorry think I may have worded it wrong, the idea behind SourceBans its only a ban database for your own site/servers, Vs SteamBans which is the one you 'sign' your server up to a master list equiv to VAC.

SourceBans - 'global' e.g. your own servers you apply the database (you host and control) to. Rather than independent banid lists which become very hard to manage or easily identify players within. So yes you ban a player from all of your own servers, or whoever else agreed to join your ban database.
Old July 6, 2009, 03:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Sorry think I may have worded it wrong, the idea behind SourceBans its only a ban database for your own site/servers, Vs SteamBans which is the one you 'sign' your server up to a master list equiv to VAC.

SourceBans - 'global' e.g. your own servers you apply the database (you host and control) to. Rather than independent banid lists which become very hard to manage or easily identify players within. So yes you ban a player from all of your own servers, or whoever else agreed to join your ban database.
Ah, that seems like a better system. Thanks for clearing that up.