Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2009, 09:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruity View Post
are you using primer prior to spray painting all those layers?
(1st post =) )
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........light bulb!

damn. I've even painted many metal things before (and painted them properly, starting with primer). man...I'm a moron.

Thanks guys!

oh well. I'll do the install and touch up the paint that chips. Not like this is subjected to daily wear and tear anyways
Old June 2, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bah, I have done a lot of painting metal. And people seem to swear by Krylon, however everytime I use it and it's terrible primers I'm not satisfied.

I use Dupli-Color, but not before surface prep and lots of coats of their self etching auto primer.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 3, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Bah, I have done a lot of painting metal. And people seem to swear by Krylon, however everytime I use it and it's terrible primers I'm not satisfied.

I use Dupli-Color, but not before surface prep and lots of coats of their self etching auto primer.
someone who's done this before if you like dupi check out plasti-kote if you can find it. the best imo. dupi very good much better then krylon
Old June 3, 2009, 07:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:

Agreed, an automotive paint is going to offer the best protection. I used Dupli Color a few years ago to paint my old keyboard and mouse and it held up really good, I didnít used primer at the time but you should I just sanded really well. The only thing I found was a problem was the clear coat took a long time to get hard (cure), I find that with Krylon it dries and cures a lot faster so more coats can be applied in one day. If you have the time or if youíre only using a couple of clear coats use the Dupli Color, if you donít have the time and want to apple multiple coats in the same day with minimal cure time then Krylon might be better, but for long term ware Dupli Color will be better.

Below I have some current pics (old camera) of the old mouse and keyboard just to show how it held up, painted maybe 4 years ago I believe (The red color).

*EDIT* If your doing metal parts that can fit in the oven, you can really reduce the cure time or if you have a heat lamp. (Don't go too high with temp and it will stink you place out )

Old June 3, 2009, 08:23 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
self etching auto primer.
There's the answer right there.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
There's the answer right there.

But you should still lightly sand because any imperfection in the original surface will show up in the finish.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:38 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Yes, and a scuff will help the paint stick even better.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wet sanding in between really helps with any blemishes if you what a perfect finish.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you really want the best protection Powder Coating is the way to go. The company I work for has their own paint line and most of the stuff is powder coated. You can get really rough textures all the way to very smooth finishes just like automotive paints. It is however expensive, some other companyís might offer lower prices than mine because were setup for long production runs and 99% our own products.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
wet sanding in between really helps with any blemishes if you what a perfect finish.
Yes, definitely a must if you want the perfect finish.