Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Guides & How-to's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/)
-   -   ps3 modding (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/17820-ps3-modding.html)

Rapid-X May 11, 2009 05:16 PM

ps3 modding

thinking of upgrading a ps3 ,
i already jsut changed the harrdrive to a 350 gig seagate drive now im thinking about doing the graphics and speed and of course cooling any ideas??:canadianwave:

Jonwall May 11, 2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapid-X (Post 193380)
thinking of upgrading a ps3 ,
i already jsut changed the harrdrive to a 350 gig seagate drive now im thinking about doing the graphics and speed and of course cooling any ideas??:canadianwave:

You cant upgrade the graphics or speed of a ps3.

As for cooling you could maybe take it apart and put it in a custom case, maybe a pc case of some sort, and do some water cooling.

Mr. Gruntsworthy May 13, 2009 06:21 AM

Fail. the HDD is the only thing interchangeable in a ps3.

CMetaphor May 13, 2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy (Post 194248)
Fail. the HDD is the only thing interchangeable in a ps3.

Agreed. Don't even try putting it in a different case, all the mounting points are way off. You're better off modding an XBOX 360 and putting it into that Lian-Li case (I believe encorp did this? correct me if im wrong...)

Chos3n May 13, 2009 06:35 AM

Overclocking a Cell Processor ? ... :rofl:

If you want to "upgrade" your PS3, then look for new revision. That means buy a brand new PS3 every time. Only thing they would change, is a cooler CPU, cooler GPU, new heatsink, bigger hard drive...etc.

I would never part myself from my 60GB PS3 :punk:

Jonwall May 13, 2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chos3n (Post 194260)
Overclocking a Cell Processor ? ... :rofl:

If you want to "upgrade" your PS3, then look for new revision. That means buy a brand new PS3 every time. Only thing they would change, is a cooler CPU, cooler GPU, new heatsink, bigger hard drive...etc.

I would never part myself from my 60GB PS3 :punk:

Lol lets get some ln2 on these things and go for records!

I love my 80gb ps3 as well. Its the earlier 80gb one with software ps2 compatibility and has a memory card reader and 4 usb ports instead of 2. Bought it used for $400 with cod4, motorstorm, and tiger woods 08 with 2 controllers. Far better than buying a new system with less features, no games, and 1 controller for the same price, not including taxes either

Chos3n May 13, 2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonwall (Post 194472)
Lol lets get some ln2 on these things and go for records!

I love my 80gb ps3 as well. Its the earlier 80gb one with software ps2 compatibility and has a memory card reader and 4 usb ports instead of 2. Bought it used for $400 with cod4, motorstorm, and tiger woods 08 with 2 controllers. Far better than buying a new system with less features, no games, and 1 controller for the same price, not including taxes either

I bought mine for 559$ ... yup that was back then when the PS3 came out and was at 659.99$ (was at 699.99$ when the dollar sucked). Then, they were phasing out the 60GB since the new 80GB were coming. Wal-Mart had a 100$ rebate on it and since I used to work there... I got an additional 10% off ... :) So, 500$ before taxes.

Put any PS1 and PS2 games and they work! :punk:

Rapid-X May 13, 2009 01:53 PM

i heard that u can make the remote ps button light up now with a qucik mod maybe i will see if i can find info to get the playstation 3 on the unit to light up

Waldie May 13, 2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chos3n (Post 194479)
I bought mine for 559$ ... yup that was back then when the PS3 came out and was at 659.99$ (was at 699.99$ when the dollar sucked). Then, they were phasing out the 60GB since the new 80GB were coming. Wal-Mart had a 100$ rebate on it and since I used to work there... I got an additional 10% off ... :) So, 500$ before taxes.

Put any PS1 and PS2 games and they work! :punk:

Yeah... I bought mine at 679.99... literally a week before they went up to 699.99. I counted myself lucky at the time. Now? Not so much. I love my PS3, and really love the backwards compatibility, four USB, integrated wireless, card reader, etc, etc. But damn that was expensive. The things we buy when we work at Best Buy in the games department and are in grade 12, with no concept of how much money you really need to save for university...

Still, don't regret it at all, PS3 is great :biggrin:

Rapid-X May 14, 2009 04:09 PM

lol sold a dual core e8400 with a 9800gx2 system to get this lol im not sure if i won or lost that one