Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2009, 09:24 AM
MVP

Default installing OS

is it worth installing the OS on a seprate partition apart from all other apps? any advantages if so anything special in doing it?
Old January 29, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Jim- good to see you around

As far as I'm concerned it's not worth the bother- maybe keep your media files on a separate partition for ease of future reformatting, but otherwise no point. I do however, run my OS from a separate Raptor drive and store my apps on a large drive.
Old January 29, 2009, 10:28 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

not worth it. your apps need to be re-installed with the os anyways.

I keep all my data on a separate partition. And the first thing I do with a fresh install, once all apps are in and configured is make and image of that partition onto my data drive. Then you are never more than 10 minutes away from a complete redo.
Old January 29, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have my windows and some basic programs on one drive and on my second drive I have all of my downloads and the rest of my programs that cannot be made portable which isn't allot . for me I use mostly portable software it increases security not that I really need it but it gives me piece of mind. but for basic computing and not allot of downloading possible virus ridden things I see know real advantage. and to be totally honest the only reason why I do things the way I do is because I have way to much time on my hands so this keeps me from getting bored lol
Old January 29, 2009, 10:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

Yeah, not really much reason to install an OS on a different partition, unless of course your either A) Running Linux/Vista/Some unknown OS, and in this case you do it so you can duelboot with XP, or B) Testing a new OS, kinda like how I have XP on my main drive and Windows 7 pimping on my second!

Old January 29, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Best to buy one small drive like a 120gb or 250gb for your OS/Programs and larger drives for data.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
not worth it. your apps need to be re-installed with the os anyways.

I keep all my data on a separate partition. And the first thing I do with a fresh install, once all apps are in and configured is make and image of that partition onto my data drive. Then you are never more than 10 minutes away from a complete redo.
yea i think thats what Im asking .excellent reply's all thats what makes HC the best place to ask questions.Hey Bab sup

Last edited by Jim; January 29, 2009 at 01:48 PM.