Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Guides & How-to's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/)
-   -   Crimping but without the crimping tool? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/13359-crimping-but-without-crimping-tool.html)

bojangles December 29, 2008 07:55 PM

Crimping but without the crimping tool?

I found a great tutorial on youtube to reattach a RJ45 head on a cable that I had damaged when I was trying to get it through a small hole in the wall. The head became stripped and I think some of the contacts came loose when I tried to get it through the wall with some pliers (STUPID MOVE ON ME). The hole was just too small and I forced. Now I have to repair the cable, but I don't want to buy the crimping tool because I will likely only have to do this once, so it's not worth the $10-$20 to get the tool. when I could just buy another cable for $10.

So, before I go out and buy another cable, is there a different tool that I can use that will evenly dispense weight on the head when crimping?

I though some of you might have a way to rig up a cable without the necessary tools...

Thanks in advance!

YouTube - Make yourself a CAT5 Cable (high quality & close up)

Xilikon December 29, 2008 08:14 PM

There is no way to do a proper crimping without a crimper. This is because when you crimp it, it also push a locking tab which is hard to do with pliers.

enaberif December 29, 2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xilikon (Post 132701)
There is no way to do a proper crimping without a crimper. This is because when you crimp it, it also push a locking tab which is hard to do with pliers.

Ding.

NO other way.

punk_zappa December 29, 2008 09:10 PM

I did it once using a Swiss knife and a flat head screw driver and I am still using the cable. It is not the best but it worked for me. The tool was so expensive up here so I made the swiss knife work.

Try to get the connector for about $0.40-50 each. Run the cable through the hole and orient the wires into the connector. Once you are sure about the wires are correct pound the little slot to hold the wire in place with a screwdriver. Use the knife's edge or a thin screwdriver to press the metal contacts to the wires. If that didn't work then you can buy another cable.

Good luck.

buzzkill December 29, 2008 10:07 PM

I agree with punk, I made do the the same way once, it's not great, but better than nothing. I did it the same way too, if only every house was wired for cat 5 :)

Cheator December 30, 2008 04:29 AM

30 bucks and you have a half decent crimper. Its the best way, IMO.

misterd December 30, 2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 132729)
I agree with punk, I made do the the same way once, it's not great, but better than nothing. I did it the same way too, if only every house was wired for cat 5 :)

*cough* cat6 - set your goals higher :clap:

Shadowmeph December 30, 2008 09:55 AM

thats a pretty good instruction vid I am wondering how you figure out the order of the wires. also how much money do you save buy doing this?

oh and I agree I would probably buy the crimp tool it isn't that I don't think I could do it it is because how many failures before I suceed lol

punk_zappa December 30, 2008 11:03 AM

Check the order of the wires from the good end, it is easy to see and write it down. Or you can check this out, The Internet Centre - Ethernet Cable - Color Coding Diagram.

Buy a pack of connectors for $2, there are about 5 in there. I am sure you will get it right before using them all.

chrisk December 30, 2008 12:05 PM

Yeah make sure you write down the colour code on the good end and use the proper type on the other. You want both types to be the same (ie. 568A) if you are connecting different devices such as a computer to router, and you want to have one end 568A and the other 568B if you are connecting two same devices (ie. Computer to Computer).(568A or 568B 586A & 586B ) Although it is not as important as it used to be since many routers and NICs autosense the cable type and adjust. I would play it safe and wire for the main purpose you want to use it for.

As for doing this without a crimper, have fun!

If you are going to try it, use a small flat-head screwdriver to push down the pins into the wires. You will need to push down all 8 pins into the 8 wires. Before pushing down your pins make sure that all of the individual wires are completely pushed to the end of the jack. This will avoid you pushing down a pin and having the pin miss the wire. A common mistake by rookies is that they put the jack on upside down (make sure the clip is facing down when you put the cable in the jack). Also make sure the pins are pushed down far enough that you don't end up damaging your NIC port when you plug in your newly made cable in...if the pins are not pushed down far enough, you can eventually damage your NIC port by plugging it in and out over time.

You need to make extra sure that the orange and green wires are done well, as these are the ones that the data are transmitted on. (The other wires are typically just for insulation so if one of the other colours get messed up, give the cable a try anyways.) You might want to find a bigger flat-head screwdriver to push down the piece of plastic that pinches the jacket of the cable to keep the jack in place.

Good luck...this can be done but it will be pretty frustrating and will not exactly be the best quality cable lol. You might also want to make sure you have more than one jack and some additional cable sticking out of the wall in case you have to retry the crimp...