Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2008, 08:16 AM
Rookie

Default OC? Or not to....

I just want to know if I could OC my set up...

and if it would yeild any worth while results.

Also, I am not familiar with OCing my RAM or GPU's. Mainly, I just changed settings for Processor and called it good.

Set up:

ABIT KN8 SLI 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD 3800+ X2
Sapphire HD 4850
2 G Kingston PC 3200

Yeah, it's old stuff. Think I can get a little more out of it? Or should I leave it be.

Thanks!
Old December 1, 2008, 09:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... that's a pretty silly question to be asking on a hardware enthusiasts' website.... of course you should overclock it!!!

Not sure what kind of OC you'd get, but even a 10% boost might be enough for you to see a difference. My only concern looking at your hardware would be the kingston ram... am I correct in assuming that it's value ram? If so, is there any way you can get some form of fan to direct airflow over it? The great majority of DDR value ram didn't come with heatsinks, so they're often limited because of heat.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 1, 2008, 09:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

x2 3800+ is cold but don't OC'ed well...2.2GHZ is top......maybe more depend on the mobo

Old December 1, 2008, 11:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... that's a pretty silly question to be asking on a hardware enthusiasts' website.... of course you should overclock it!!!

Not sure what kind of OC you'd get, but even a 10% boost might be enough for you to see a difference. My only concern looking at your hardware would be the kingston ram... am I correct in assuming that it's value ram? If so, is there any way you can get some form of fan to direct airflow over it? The great majority of DDR value ram didn't come with heatsinks, so they're often limited because of heat.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!

Have heat sinks. I could pick up some additional cooling if I need.
Old December 1, 2008, 11:18 AM
Rookie

on THIS motherboar I don't OC the processor. It doesn't like it.

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to get some cash together for a new rig. I keep saying that. DAMN KIDS! they need shoes....but I need a new CPU!

Thanks for the insecurity complex. I just realized what a donasaur I have =p.

I'll keep reading here and learning what I can. When I get to do a real build I'll follow up with you all here.
Old December 1, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't think you'd get any worthwhile results overclocking. With that said, that PC should still have some oomph to do well enough. My wife and kids PC is a 3600+ dual core and 3400 IGP onboard graphics and they love it.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I want to try ( Finally) to over clock my 8400 I am using a Thermalright ULTRA-120 Single 120 fan pushing air on an gigabyte GA P35 DS3L board inside a Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 ,I copied SKYMTL's review on tis case and added a 120mm fan on the outside of the hard drive cage and also added a 120mm a fan on the side grill. I have been running stock because I was nervous about OCing because I have Zero experience. is there a Guide to OCing this CPU Motherboard?
Old December 24, 2008, 01:45 PM
Top Prospect

Overclocking is all about Temps and Voltage. The cooler you can keep a chip, the better! The cooler the chip, the less VDC needed to power it, meaning less heat. Oc'in way above spec needs more voltage so be cool! Yes, it's a vicious cycle!

After that, it's memory dividers. Lotsa Fun!

Quality of hardware is paramount.

When you've achieved your 24/7 OC, you may run into problems with your onboard peripherals, (NIC, Storage) etc.

I recommend reading and researching the hardware, and people's X-Periences! (forums) IE: No Particuliar Order

i) X-treme Systems: X-tremely crazy about pushing hardware to the limit!
ii) Hardop: Not quite as
iii) HardwareCanucks:
iv) Ncix: Good support from most of the regulars, once again, watch out for the nuts!

Definition of a Nut: Someone who takes the latest and greatest hardware, and reduces it to a smouldering mound of silicone in under 24 hours!

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old December 24, 2008, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_d View Post
Overclocking is all about Temps and Voltage. The cooler you can keep a chip, the better! The cooler the chip, the less VDC needed to power it, meaning less heat. Oc'in way above spec needs more voltage so be cool! Yes, it's a vicious cycle!

After that, it's memory dividers. Lotsa Fun!

Quality of hardware is paramount.

When you've achieved your 24/7 OC, you may run into problems with your onboard peripherals, (NIC, Storage) etc.

I recommend reading and researching the hardware, and people's X-Periences! (forums) IE: No Particuliar Order

i) X-treme Systems: X-tremely crazy about pushing hardware to the limit!
ii) Hardop: Not quite as
iii) HardwareCanucks:
iv) Ncix: Good support from most of the regulars, once again, watch out for the nuts!

Definition of a Nut: Someone who takes the latest and greatest hardware, and reduces it to a smouldering mound of silicone in under 24 hours!:doh:
Hahahaha thanks for the info