Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2008, 04:45 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Info in Modding a case?

Sup guys =]

So I have yet been able to find a case suitable for my needs. I have a budget (no more than 130$) for a case.

I have been looking at the following: Thermaltake Armor + MX, Thermaltake V9, Antec 900, Cooler Master CM 690. I can price match most of these cases through NCIX for roughly $105 to 120.

Question: I have carpeted floors. Would a PSU that is positioned on the bottom not work well with my floor? Would i need to elevate it with a piece of wood or something?

Things I'm looking for in the case:

1) Great cable management. (I'll get further into this when i talk about modding it.)
2) Adequate cooling.
3) Easily moddable

The computer I'm hoping to build in this case will be AIR cooled. Needs to be able to fit a 9800GTX+ or HD4850. I also want to OC the CPU (most likely Q6600) to around 3.6-8

Modding:

Paint:
As far as modding goes, i want to colour the interior so its not the ugly metal colour. I have no idea where to start doing this. I know the basics in needing to tape where you dont want paint, and having to take all parts of the computer.

I know you need to prime it once or twice, and then apply your colour. Ive heard you need to sand some places and use heat-proof paint?

I am confused as to what brands of paint to use, and how to do it.

Cable Management:
What i want to do is hopefully route the PSU cables behind the motherboard tray (i'll be getting the HX620W modular)
Cases like the Antec 900 have no holes to route the cables behind, and i remember seeing someone's worklog where he was able to route it quite nicely.

I have no idea how to drill neat holes in metal. I have heard about a tool called Dremel but i have no idea what it does. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Custom Side Panel:
I am really leaning towards grabbing a CM 690, but i want a side panel that's transparent and also has the ability to add 120mm intake fans. Yeah i know there is a custom side panel available to purchase but it'd be neat to make my own.

I know that this process includes having to cut the metal with a jigsaw, and then applying an acrylic plate. No idea how to do this myself. Myabe i should bring the case to my school tech ed shop and see if teachers can help me mod it, heh.

Yes, i know there are a lot of Google tutorials out there. I have searched hours and hours. There are some nice guides but i jus want to know what people from HWC think in regards to case mods.
Regards.

Old October 25, 2008, 05:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well the psu takes air from inside the case and exhausts it out so that shouldnt be an issue unless you get the antec 900 and do the mod where you flip the psu and cut a hole in the bottom. As for painting i know you can take apart most of the case to make it easier, to do a perfect job and get every area painted even the ones no one sees apparently you have to cut off some rivets. I personally have the 900 and have been looking into modding it for awhile so i dont know much about the other cases, but from the looks of it the 900 will take more effort to mod but the end results can be amazing.
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old October 25, 2008, 09:34 PM

My System Specs

I am absolutely anal when it comes to cable management so I think I can give you a few tips.
I don't know what kind of cash flow you have. But if you can afford it, I HIGHLY suggest buying a stepped drill bit.

For cable management you'll need ~ 1 inch or so. They'll run you about $60. But over the years I have spent twice if not three times that much on cutting wheels for a dremel. You'll also need a good 1/2 chuck drill to power it.

Cut the holes under the motherboard tray and make sure that they won't be seeing once the motherboard is in as IMO it wrecks the image. Buy some grommets for the holes after they are cut. You can get them uber cheap at Performance-PC's or you can buy them at home depot for a tad bit more.

As for painting. If you want it done right, take it apart. Don't be afraid of rivets. They are actually fun to replace. You'll need a rivet gun which is ~ $20 or so @ CT. And rivets are dirt cheap. Steel does not need to be primered as it isn't porous. Some people say it will make paint stick better, but really it won't improve anything. However make sure you clean the hell out of the metal with soap and water. Oil/dirt on the surface will make things very nasty. If you are going with a flat colour, there is no need to sand between coats as long as you don't have any runs. After the last coat, try to let it set for a good 48 or more if you can afford before putting it back together as it will chip quite easily early in its life. Also go for enamel paint.
Old October 25, 2008, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well I've seen his cable management.. so I can imagine how ANAL he is ... lol

Lowfat so you did find an alternative to cutting wheels.. I remember in your Tagan case log you mentioned you were looking for something.. sorry to OT
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 25, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I HIGHLY suggest buying a stepped drill bit.
How long do they last usually?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 25, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Step bits are more suited for thin aluminum or plastic and not very good for heavy steel.

You won't need more than 2" hole saw for most cables that you plan to use, but if you plan to need a bigger hole than that look into a hand nibbler. Couple drill holes and a nibbler and you can make some pretty nifty cutouts.
Old October 26, 2008, 12:37 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
How long do they last usually?
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Step bits are more suited for thin aluminum or plastic and not very good for heavy steel.
Charles @ MurderMod says he has been using the same one for a while. So I assume they'll last a long time.

You won't need more than 2" hole saw for most cables that you plan to use, but if you plan to need a bigger hole than that look into a hand nibbler. Couple drill holes and a nibbler and you can make some pretty nifty cutouts.
Ya I've never used the stepped bit on steel so I don't know how it acts. A nibbler is a great little tool though. But very hard on your hands.
Old November 3, 2008, 07:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I am absolutely anal when it comes to cable management so I think I can give you a few tips.
I don't know what kind of cash flow you have. But if you can afford it, I HIGHLY suggest buying a stepped drill bit.
Agreed. I've got one and I used it a lot to stab my Cosmos 1000.

Best 40$ spent. That, and my bi-metal hole-saw kit.