Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2009, 04:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on what kind of network you've got....

Personally, I've got 3 computers in the house that are for my own personal use so there are no security issues. OTOH, my young lad's account on his computer would never be set up to give it root access.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 18, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

stromm, that sounds pretty arrogant. Tone it down. And like the post above, my shares are not connected via the internet. It is a 1Gbit LAN between two computers.

No one is suggesting you open up your computer to "Everyone" on the internet. We simply would like to share our drives between multiple clients in our LAN. Simple, isn't it?
Old October 25, 2009, 05:00 PM
Trial Member

Default Thanks! Thanks a million! Thanks two million!

I registered just to say thanks. I'd FedEx you a cookie if I knew where you live.
Old October 25, 2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromm View Post
Do you lock your house?
I sure do. My network is wired and not accessible from the interwebs. All of the computers are used by responsible people. Unless they're sitting in front my one of my computers, it's a non-issue, and if they've already gained access to my house, then my concerns are far larger than a couple of photos and songs I store on my network share.

BTW this post was made by me when I had a more anonymous user account here, so I just thought I'd throw my 2-bits in.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old October 25, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^ I was going to say didn't you start this thread ha ah
Old November 7, 2009, 04:10 PM
Trial Member

Default I just want to say thanks

I paid a guy in India (Microsoft helpdesk) a lot of money to help me set up file sharing between my XP machine and my Vista machine. Then, a few months went by, and I am at my sister's trying to set up file sharing between her XP and her husband's Vista machines. Guess what? Smart me, I think I know how to do it, but it didn't work, because they wanted to share C drives which requires you to follow the instructions the were posted at the head of this thread and apply the sames steps to My Computer as I had applied to My Documents.

I printed these instructions in case I ever have to do it again.

Last edited by annalbin; November 7, 2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typos
Old December 3, 2009, 11:33 AM
Trial Member

Default Works great...only one little issue.

I followed your instructions and it worked as described, except that in applying the permissions, several folders in the root directory were not accessed, such as Program Files, showing a message that the file was in use by another program. I retried it, with the same results, and I have not been able to get around this. any suggestions? Thanks.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:20 PM
Rookie

Default Works for Windows 7 TOO!

Hi, I just signed up to say thanks! You'll be pleased to know this fix works in Windows 7 as well. And, for some reason, it also fixed my printer sharing!

I have an XP SP3 machine as my main computer on an 8 port wired router, then I have two Buffalo access points, one acting as an access point, and the other acting as a repeater for the first.

My new Laptop has Windows 7. I could get it to talk to my XP machine's root drives, and that machine could see the new 7 machine's root drives, but it couldn't talk to them. I share all my root drives through my network, including the two upstairs, since there are no children here, I've never worried about it and it's become the norm for as long as I've had a network here at home. Why set up share folders when you don't have too, good grief.

Well, I couldn't get the XP machine to talk to the 7 Laptop's roots (3 of them), and I couldn't get the Laptop to print through the XP machine, even though the printer was installed directly to the 7 machine previously, with the new 64 bit drivers. That was always good enough for XP as far as share printing ever went.

Forget the MS forums mess! You should read how they talk to their users on their forums. No wonder everyone hates Redmond. But, after reading the minutes of the last Mac investors meeting, they're even worse. Anyway, I had NO LUCK, NO WAY, NO HOW!

Until I happened to stumble on this page. I got the XP machine to start talking to the 7 machine root drives, with some caveats, then ran the network printer settup as a local printer, which is exactly the opposite of what the screens would imply you should do; and instead of entering all the crap MS wants you to enter from their forums, I just entered the XP machines name, and the Printer name, which is Printer3 on the network. \\computer name\printer name

Wah Lah! Just like that, the printer setup completed and Windows 7 finally found the 64 bit drivers it already had to run it. This would NOT work until the root drive sharing was fixed. GOOD GRIEF!

I haven't wasted hours on this mess, I've wasted days!

Why does MS do this? Simple, just like they tried to do with Vista; they're just trying to isolate the OS and making is so miserable for the general public, that the average Joe Comsumer will just upgrade to 7 on everything. It's all about money. Simple as that. Boy, does MS hate XP or what? But they also did the same thing to the 98/ME OS's. I had to toss a 1 year old 289 dollar version of Front Page 2000 after I migrated to XP; wow, was that an expensive upgrade or what???

I've been in these machines ever since the 8086 days and just can fathom the outright thieves MS has become.

I still can't believe the loss I was at to get this settup to work properly.

Thank God for Geeks! God bless us, everyone...

Now, if someone could please tell me why Windows 7 loses my bluetooth connection after I hang up from a call, and have to start all over to connect it, sometimes even having to uninstall the headset! Even though the sound screens say it's still connected. This is one piece of Sh-T OS!!!

Thanks MUCHO!

Danny

Last edited by Dan Daily; March 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old March 1, 2010, 10:27 PM
Rookie

Default By the way:

If the "new" Windows 7 start bar really gets you down? Does having to scroll through your programs list in a little 3 inch box when you're sitting in front of a huge wide screen monitor get your down? Which it should, try this free program, you can make the start bar any verson of windows that ever was: Welcome to Classic Shell Even the "Simple XP" start bar which is the 98/ME start bar! (which is by far, the most intuitive)

If anything, I hope I've returned the favor.

Danny

Last edited by Dan Daily; March 2, 2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old March 1, 2010, 11:09 PM

My System Specs

You shouldn't have to go through all this w/ anything newer than Vista SP1. Go in to the sharing tab, Advanced Sharing. Then just click 'share this folder'.

Tags
guide