Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2007, 02:23 PM
Misoprostol

wow.... I didn't realize anyone would even care about this "how to"... I've had this up there for weeks, and I don't think it had more than a couple views until I just came back to look at it and people are actually finding it useful. I'm glad you all appreciate the guide. I created it because I figured if I could save someone else even 1/2 of the time I spent trying to figure this out that it would be worth the 1/2 hour I spent on the guide. I hope we can get many users contributing tips and tricks to our Vista section :)
Old May 26, 2007, 12:50 PM
Trial Member

Thumbs up The same thing from Texas

My goodness - once again the U.S. has to import something from our neighbor to the north in order to accomplish a VERY SIMPLE THING! This is ridiculous - 1st Shrek and now a simple explanation for a complex problem. The poster of this explanation should be VERY proud of themselves. I do not know how old you are poster, but believe me, if you could put two or three of those "Vista for smart dummies" explanations together I am willing to bet that a million people would buy a $10.00 book of those explanations! That is enough to buy a few ice cream cones!
Thanks from deep in the heart of Texas for allowing me to keep what little hair I have left. Oh sure - I could have figured it out myself - - in about 10 or so years

The Big Texan
Old October 26, 2007, 12:48 AM
Trial Member

Default NICE!!!!

Like many others here, I just spent 4.5 hours trying to find a solution to this. Thank you very much. Now I just need to find a similar solution to the XP side of the network! Thanks again!!
Old December 12, 2007, 03:22 AM
Trial Member

Saved hours of frustration, all other sites either deny this can be done or suggest complicated registry edits. Many thanks
Old January 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
Trial Member

Thanks for the information, I have been tearing my hair out over this annoying problem.
I recently purchased a new laptop with Vista on it, and I also upgraded the main PC to Vista, and then found that sharing files was a headache.
With your information I can finally solve this problem.

Once again, many thanks.
Old March 13, 2008, 12:48 AM
Trial Member

Default No "Everyone" in my HDD/Properties/Security/Group list.

I came on this exact solution to my exactly the same problem only recently, being given a link by the author of a book on Vista I had consulted. It doesn't work for me however. My Vista, Home Premium, DOESN'T have "Everyone" in the Groups list that come up in Security under HDD Properties. Did I miss something? Denny.

Last edited by hathway; March 13, 2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old April 2, 2008, 12:46 PM
Rookie

I would like to try this but I have a small problem. I don't have an 'Everyone' group. And I can't seem to find a way to add anyone other than other users of the computer I want to share the drive on. Does it matter that the other computer I am sharing with is only running XP SP2? Really frustrated with this. Can't figure out why something that was so easy with XP has to be so hard with Vista.

Thanks in advance.
Old April 2, 2008, 02:15 PM
MVP
F@H

nice to know that sharing in Vista is the same as it was in XP sp2. Thats the method I use when I want to add everyone, or specific users.

@Wannabe: One workaround is to add the user on the computer you want to share the drive on, and then when you connect from your other computer, enter the username/password of the user you selected that was on the computer with the shared drive.

Oh and 10,000 points if that did not confuse you.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old April 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cipher View Post
nice to know that sharing in Vista is the same as it was in XP sp2. Thats the method I use when I want to add everyone, or specific users.

@Wannabe: One workaround is to add the user on the computer you want to share the drive on, and then when you connect from your other computer, enter the username/password of the user you selected that was on the computer with the shared drive.

Oh and 10,000 points if that did not confuse you.
10,000 points for me.

I thought about his but do I want to have to enter a password every time I want to use my media drive? I really fail to see why this has to be so hard. Microshaft really needs to rethink some of the things they do. Its one thing to have it turned off by default, but another entirely to make near impossible without an MCSE course under your belt.
Old June 20, 2008, 11:04 PM
Trial Member

Thumbs up Thanks a lot - Thanks a Million

Dear Sir,

I have joined this forum just only to say THANK YOU. You has solved my one of the great problem.

Anything I can do for you is my pleasure.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Shabbir Hazari
Karachi, Pakistan.

Cell No. +923028235252
shabbirhazari@gmail.com

Team Leader TIENS Code: 884-63725
TIENS Pakistan - Shabbir Hazari Teams

Tags
guide