What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD may have a dual Threadripper Pro platform in the works

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

someone spotted some tidbits on an unannounced Threadripper chipset that has enough deets to speculate dual Threadripper configs!

Izerous

Folding Team
Having seen the leaked price tag of the next gen threadripper. And the assumed cost of what a dual socket motherboard would be... the only way this makes sense is by using the highest sku as it is. Using 2 of the cheapest CPUs + dual socket mortherboard vs the highest sku + single socket motherboard will be in favour of the single socket setup for price and value.

This would mean the only point that this makes sense the entry cost is going to be like 15k+ going with the top tier threadrippers.

Marzipan

Having seen the leaked price tag of the next gen threadripper. And the assumed cost of what a dual socket motherboard would be... the only way this makes sense is by using the highest sku as it is. Using 2 of the cheapest CPUs + dual socket mortherboard vs the highest sku + single socket motherboard will be in favour of the single socket setup for price and value.

This would mean the only point that this makes sense the entry cost is going to be like 15k+ going with the top tier threadrippers.
I agree with this assessment with the 64 core and 96 core CPU making the most sense as dual 32 core system would have a premium over a single 64 core...unless they needed the crazy amount of RAM a dual CPU board would support.

Izerous

Folding Team
I agree with this assessment with the 64 core and 96 core CPU making the most sense as dual 32 core system would have a premium over a single 64 core...unless they needed the crazy amount of RAM a dual CPU board would support.
I guess dual 32 might also make sense if the goal was strictly number of full speed lanes for mass NVMe storage or something along those lines as well as I think all 3 skus had the same number of lanes.

Edit: But both situations dual 32 a single Epyc also starts coming into play. All of that said I'd still love even a dual socket 7960x in my posseition practical or not.

Bond007

I am doubting anyone here will have a "need" for this, but it will be ridiculously powerful for those needing at home CPU processing power, crazy memory amounts or tons of IO lanes.

Marzipan

I am doubting anyone here will have a "need" for this, but it will be ridiculously powerful for those needing at home CPU processing power, crazy memory amounts or tons of IO lanes.
pretty sure only the Threadripper Pro would work with this chipset, if it materializes, so it would be targeting those that need a monster workstation.

moocow

Yeah, just like rich people don't need LV handbags (ugly), Learjets, Lambos, and tropical islands.

On a more serious note, with rendering and AI work moving over to GPU, wouldn't PCI-E lanes be more important these days? I guess you could use this as a dev and test machine or use vGPU and Proxox to segment your work?

Marzipan

Yeah, just like rich people don't need LV handbags (ugly), Learjets, Lambos, and tropical islands.

On a more serious note, with rendering and AI work moving over to GPU, wouldn't PCI-E lanes be more important these days? I guess you could use this as a dev and test machine or use vGPU and Proxox to segment your work?
there are enough PCIe lanes on the entry level WRX50 chipset to outfit each slot with a GPU and have full on x16 lane support!

ipaine

there are enough PCIe lanes on the entry level WRX50 chipset to outfit each slot with a GPU and have full on x16 lane support!
But what if I need more than 128 pcie5 lanes?

I don't know what for or how to use them but dammit I want 256 lanes!!!

Latest posts