Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2008, 03:05 PM

My System Specs

Definitely enjoying so far. Just started chapter 8. Playing with a 5.1 home theatre is simply amazing. The channel separation is very good and very helpful. I already have a bunch of theories built up in my head on how the rest of the story is going to play out.
Old October 28, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Sorry I didn't mention it in the previous post but is there anyway to enable FSAA and AF or is it not an included feature of the game due to that fact that it is a console game. I have tried enabling it through the driver settings, but to no avail nothing appears to happen or their isn't any difference in image qaulity.

EE
I think AA is just a toggle in the graphics options. On/Off, no other setting. Not at home so I can't check at the moment. I don't think there is an AF option. It's just Textures High-Med-Low. Again need to confirm but I think I remember it that way.

Edit: Apparently it is built on the Godfather Engine? I can't confirm that either but maybe there's some tweaks out there for that engine.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 28, 2008, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The in game AA is set so low and running at a resolution of 1920x1200 believe me when I say you'd have to have some seriously good vision to see any difference between on and off. As I have stated before changing the game settings through the nvidia control panel results in no difference in image qaulity or performance. I have been able to solve the v-sync issue by simply turning the in game settings to off and forcing it on, as result it correctly displays 60 frames per second. We can only hope with the release of a patch that EA might consider including very high qaulity textures and increased FSAA and AF support. Its painfully obvious that this was "meant for the console game" its hard to compare this game visually to any other it just doesn't put forth any real "wow" factor like Crysis had to offer. Don't get me wrong it still looks and plays very well it just won't win many awards for its visuals.

Its been pretty busy over at the dead space forums at EA with a wide number of issues people are experiencing everything from sound, to graphical, to crashing (including Xbox360 ver.) it really does amaze me and I consider myself lucky that I have rarely experienced such problems with a new game that I have purchased. It always begs the question of what crap do these people have running on their computer that would cause them.

EE
Old October 29, 2008, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hm, no this game is not going to win any realistic, make your hardware cry awards, but it is a corridor space shooter. The performance is fantastic and the visuals are dark metal hallways with cool lighting. It was similar to Bioshock, people whining about textures but really, you don't need them imo, it doesn't take away from the gameplay here, nor did it in Bioshock.

I have not experienced any issues with the game. Only time I have an issue is when I am running FRAPS, recording screenshots or video while simultaneously getting the snot kicked out of me till I die, lol, then I crash to desktop. I have tested it many times and it only happens when FRAPS is running.

I am of the mind that 90% of the crying and whining that goes on about a "crappy game" that won't work etc... is user error, not the game developers. People think computers are infallible no matter how much you neglect it, infect it or abuse it. Dev forums are always full of people crying when a new game is released. I am not saying I have never had a problem with any game, but usually there is a solution, and on a very, very rare occasion you just get a total POS *cough* Gears of War *cough*.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 29, 2008, 08:31 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

GoW worked perfectly for me. Learn to look after your computer
Old October 29, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^ LOL, it worked ok on my Vista laptop. Took like an hour to install on my XP desktop and trust me, I tried and tried and tried SO many solutions. And my computer is very well looked after, thank you ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old October 29, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

@ Eagle Eye

Forgot to ask... Why do you want vsync enabled? Are you getting a lot of screen tearing?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old October 30, 2008, 02:44 PM

My System Specs

OK. Dead Space was effing awesome. Well worth buying even if it doesn't have a lot of replay value.
Old October 30, 2008, 04:39 PM
Top Prospect

I'm really NOT feeling this game.

the controls are WACKED and very non key-mappable - although it does allow some (very little) Its frustrating as hell - mouse controls in particular are set in such a manner that mapping one button differently screws up everything. The arrow keys are totally hard mapped (I hate WSAD for moving) and you cant jump!

the AA in the game is nonexistant - there is a setting in game, but all it works on is your character and not the environment - and I can tell quite clearly at 1920x1200.

Also, your guy is too big! The character takes up a good chunk of screen space.

The best third person game (fun and scary) IMO is GOW and it kicks this game's ass and looks absolutely stunning on both my systems because the AA and AF can be forced through the drivers. Coop mode is fun fun awesome, too!

Dead Space just is not worth the $50 - I cant wait for GOW2
i7-860 @ 4.2Ghz (1.33v) EVGA P55 FTW SLI (E657-A51 Bios) Thermalright ULTRA-120 Trueblack Rev.C G.Skill Ripjaws 4G DDR3-2000 Antec 850W TPQ 2xBFG GTX280 1G SLI Acer X263W 25.5" LCD Crucial C4 256G WD FAEX 1TB LG DVDRAM GH20NS10 Thermaltake Kandalf case Windows 7 Pro x64

E8400 @ 3.96Ghz (1.42v) EVGA 780i A1 (P08) ZalmanCNPS9700NT G.Skill 4G DDR2-1000 eVGA GTX280SC 1G Windows 7 Pro x64 1xSeagate Barracuda 7200.11 500G
Old October 30, 2008, 07:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

I am starting on chapter 5 , That being said I feel the graphics are pretty good and the theme of the game i find very entertaining(a dead ship with aliens running amuck) .
What i don't like is the slow movement of the mouse controls, the mapping of the keys (not much meat there )
but overall i am enjoying this game :) Still have yet to really get into FarCry2 :)