Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2008, 02:16 PM

My System Specs

Bought the game for 360 today as I don't have a videocard ATM. Only played a few hours but pretty enjoyable so far.
Old October 24, 2008, 09:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

bought dead space for PS3 tonight and the game is giving me the chills, was playing it in the dark with the surround sound cranked up and after 2.5 hours i had to stop. i am actually surprised at how well the game is done.

defiantly a 5 star game.
Old October 24, 2008, 11:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The cropped FOV bugs me a bit. I can understand they want you to feel claustrophobic or like you are looking through a helmet with limited FOV, but I find myself doing a lot of swinging around and I would just prefer to see more. A minor complaint but it gets to me.

Edit: One thing worth mentioning is the loading times for me are awesome. No mass of intro movies and once you are in the game menu, your last save point loads almost intsantly. It is all very fast!

Edit 2: Did an actual min/max FPS with Fraps over 3 minutes. My average is 99 FPS with a mix of combat and no combat.

Here's some screens as promised.

Ah pretty :)

The blinding lights are sweet in this game

There's someone at the door!

OK, halvsies then :)

Let's go shopping

Slow down your going too fast

C'mon I'm ready for ya!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE

Last edited by Thund3rball; October 25, 2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old October 25, 2008, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks creepy alright. It would be a great game for big screen though. How's the sound and sound track?

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 25, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OMG the sound design and music is absolutely fantastic. I usually play with headphones on. I wish I had a 5.1 system because those with them are raving about it when it comes to this game. The music sets the moods perfectly, screechy violins, staccatos, all timed at perfect moments to draw you into the world of dead Space and leave you with the shakes. The little bits of whispers, scurrying necros, clinks, clanks, creeks really add to it.

Other nice touches are when you are in a vacuum, you can hardly hear anything except your own breathing and muffled footsteps. It's like you are underwater. And when your health is low your breathing gets irradic as does your step. You kind of "stumble along" a bit. The voice acting is top notch, no cheesy deliveries and the script is decent too.

I am so addicted to this game I can't put it down lol. I know a space horror shooter is nothing new, but when a developer does so many little things right, and delivers great gameplay, it's hard not to say one of the best games of 2008. We have a few more AAA titles to look forward to so we'll see how it stacks up. All I can say is there are not any Dead Space "let down" threads like there is for Far Cry2.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 26, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just picked it up this weekend installing right now!!

EE
Old October 26, 2008, 09:52 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Awesome. Have to mark this one down for the chilly and game drought months of post xmas.
Old October 28, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Has anyone else noticed that enabling v-sync results in a fps of 30 and not 60?

The music and sound effects are amazing with my 5.1 surround sound system It can really spook you when things drop behind you or pop out I have jumped plenty of times in my seat and the girlfriend has a good laugh at me when it happens...

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; November 11, 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old October 28, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes. Because it is a console game. Also having it enabled causes major mouse lag for me and many others. S'ok this game runs so awesomely unless you are playing it on a x800 with a 24" screen I doubt you'll need it.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old October 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry I didn't mention it in the previous post but is there anyway to enable FSAA and AF or is it not an included feature of the game due to that fact that it is a console game. I have tried enabling it through the driver settings, but to no avail nothing appears to happen or their isn't any difference in image qaulity.

EE