Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2008, 05:03 PM
Rookie

Default Warhammer Online

Anyone in the beta? Plans to pick it up? I've only been able to follow it through the boards and some beta videos, never got into the CB nor did I snag the CE or SEs to get me in the past bit.

I did preorder from EA Store to hopefully check it out when open beta starts, I tried from D2D but they wouldn't let me at the time, but that is fixed now (was US only until a couple days ago.

Been playing WoW for awhile now, PvP exclusive so I'm looking forward to this hopefully enlightening what I am after for a PvP MMO.

I see the NDA is lifted now, any comments from those who been able to check it out so far?
Old August 19, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually the NDA isn't lifted now, only partially and on only some info.

I've been in the beta from start, and without trying to scare you I'd have to say it's probably going to be the single largest MMO flop of the decade. I'm not sure what they've spent all this time doing but WAR will never be on the top of peoples list for MMO PVP, The combat system is clunky, cumbersome and not well thought out, it feels like WOW 2.0 only not as well designed. WOW -IS- better than it by far, even in graphics believe it or not.

They game has a very DAOC feel to the combat, only a bit slower and harder to really feel immersive. It's like MMO Rockem Sockem Robots, You literally hit an ability and then sit there waiting for things to happen for a good 3 seconds, and then cast another ability and sit and wait, there is ZERO responsiveness whatsoever.

I'm hoping the full game will flesh out better, I'm a BIIIG Warhammer/40k lore fan and I play the tabletops and PVP "Hardcore" in MMO's but this game just dosn't have the depth that is required on a competive arena, it's a very childs play sort of game, yes, more so than wow believe it or not.

I'm still going to buy it, it may be better than Age of Conan, which I enjoyed A LOT but ran out of content and since my friends gave up, and Funcom sucks, I quit lol.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 20, 2008, 07:30 AM
Rookie

I don't know know if it could be a bigger flop then Vanguard, I was in beta for that and it was definately a steaming pile. I liked AoC somewhat, but there was something that was missing for me, couldn't put my finger on it. Going to check this out regardless at least until WotLK shows up, I really have nothing else better to do then farm gold currently, unless I want to check out some PvE raiding. If this is a flop I pray that WotLK is interesting PvP wise, but after seeing there implementation of world PvP objectives so far, it's really hard to believe for me currently.
Old August 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windego View Post
I don't know know if it could be a bigger flop then Vanguard, I was in beta for that and it was definately a steaming pile. I liked AoC somewhat, but there was something that was missing for me, couldn't put my finger on it. Going to check this out regardless at least until WotLK shows up, I really have nothing else better to do then farm gold currently, unless I want to check out some PvE raiding. If this is a flop I pray that WotLK is interesting PvP wise, but after seeing there implementation of world PvP objectives so far, it's really hard to believe for me currently.
AoC = missing a whole crapload of content.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

I primarily play WoW too, though mainly because that's what brings me my paychecks ;) Still is fun and I'm rather excited to see what's going to happen with WoTLK. Warhammer, seems like it has some promise with it...then again, I said that about Age of Conan and then Funcom kicked it in the uprights and beat it with a stick when it was down.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 20, 2008, 04:56 PM
MVP

I'm in the open beta, really looking forward to the preview weekend. Been playing WOW since release and I really need something new. Like any of you said AOC was missing something that could have made it a great game. I really hope that WAR won't flop but after being let down so hard by AOC and hearing some beta testers comments. I'm thinking that the outcome won't be too good.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:19 PM
Rookie

Have seen a nice WAR trailer from gametrailer. This is awesome.
Old August 21, 2008, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windego View Post

I agree fully, I was big into AOC at first, it really is missing something, even other than the content etc...

I'm sort of hoping Bioware blows all our minds in a year or two... I don't see anything on the horizon that is really stellar.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
Rookie

Well I've been checking out for a couple of hours. The one striking thing for me as shallow as it sounds, is the player animations, I think they are horrible! Otherwise I like it, the public quests are pretty cool, and I did a couple RvR so far which was fun. Going to keep checking out the other classes, been messing around on a Shadow Warrior solely for the past couple of hours. Seems the UI doesn't seem to sync too well with the animations. Also CTD once so far, I guess there is a memory leak on nvidia cards or something. The world looks great from the small areas I have seen so far, the crappy animations look out of place in it from my pov. NPCs seem to act strangly, just standing around sometimes instead of running towards me to melee, not snared or anything.
Old August 23, 2008, 08:26 PM
Rookie

My system ate itself after the first 10 minutes of play :/ lol Need to buildanother system and when I do....you'ld best believe my lovely little whirlwind of bloodlusting euphoria and death will back in there ;) It may just be the old tabletop bug comin back though, im not sure. Anyways...glory to khaine and death to the phoenix king