Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2008, 03:13 PM
MVP

Been playing in the preview since friday and im up to level 15. I'm really liking this game so far. Yes, it is a bit buggy and the animations aren't as fluid as WOW, but I find the gameplay to be much more exciting. The RvR is some of the most fun I've had in a pvp scenario and the public quests are pretty cool as well. The game needs some ironing, but I think it will be able to capture those that love to pvp and are looking for an alternative to WOW.
Old August 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just finished the preview weekend for WAR and I absolutely LOVED it! Sure there are some animation issues, some sound bugs, and a few other details to iron out, like pathing, hitbox fluctuations, etc. But remember that for the next week, all the servers are completely shut down and as many of these bugs as possible are being fixed. The pathing mentioned earlier in this thread (mobs standing around or running away before running to you) is actually a bug that just occurred in the preview weekend and Mythic has stated it will be fixed by open beta.

I don't think that WAR will be a flop at all. It offers gamers a lot of stradegy and dynamic change in an RvR/PvP setting that's never been done before. The innovation that's been put into this game actually staggers the mind. For example; I never thought that PVE tactics would actually work as viable tactics in PvP, but somehow Mythic has found a way to make it work! Imagine tanks holding the line, tanking, taunting and protecting their allies, while ranged dps and healers stay to the back out of harms way. All the while melee dps is trying to break through the lines and get to the cloth wearers, while having to dodge opposing melee dps. And all thius is happening in PVP! That simply never happens! Up until now, PvP has basically just been a free for all brawl in some form or another. Sure there has been variations in maps, targets and goals... but the overall tactics involved have always been more or less... primitive in nature, to say the least.

And it's getting a little annoying hearing people complain about how they ripped off elements of WoW. Remember that WoW is nothing more than a compilation of ideas from other MMO's that have layed the foundation. Truthfully, the entire MMO gaming industry can trace it's roots back to a mix of two games: Ultima Online and Everquest. WoW simply took the elements of these games (and a few others) that worked, reskinned it, found an engine that would run on any system (which was their smartest move) dumbed it down so your average 12 year old could solo his way to 60, and voila! A game that gave the masses what they already had and never knew about.

*edit* I do agree with encorp on one thing though: I'm really hoping Bioware comes through on their Star Wars MMO. If it's even half decent, I'm all over that one.
Old August 26, 2008, 09:28 PM
MVP

Any interesting classes in the game?

I prefer to play caster/support, any recommended classes?
Old August 26, 2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff View Post
Any interesting classes in the game?

I prefer to play caster/support, any recommended classes?
priest.
Old August 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
Rookie

Well I would say the Goblin Shaman is the epitome of caster/support. If you're familiar with WoW, it's like a priest, druid, shaman packed into a tiny green gnome with a big nose.

It has shocks (of sorts), direct damage casts, dots, hots, direct heal casts, pw: shield etc.

The one thing I don't like is the poor performance. I hope this is just because it is in infancy but even low settings requires around the same horsepower as high on WoW and looks significantly worse.

If you couldn't run at least high graphics on WoW, you will need to upgrade your GPU to play it.
Old August 28, 2008, 08:03 AM
Rookie

I too loved Preview Weekend! I think it played very well, I didn't experience any of the crashes or bugs I've heard about. I did notice the pathing issue, but like Caldezar said Mythic is fixing it right now. I also thought they said they had a bunch more animations and character creation stuff ready for launch that just isnt in the current build?

But anyway I had a ton of fun with the PvP/RvR, WoW is my only other MMO I have to compare it to and it's everything I have been wanting to see. Love the Public Quests and Tome of Knowledge as well, every game going forward will have Public Quests IMO. I hear the Tome is modified from something they did in Lord of the Rings which is fine, I think it's really cool.

About the support cast, Shaman or Arch Mage seem to be fit the role of ranged dps and support. Depending on if you play Destruction or Order. Personally, I think I'll be going Order - Bright Wizard. Probably ont he Barak Varr server.
Old August 28, 2008, 10:48 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
I primarily play WoW too, though mainly because that's what brings me my paychecks ;) .
you get paid to play WoW? where do i sign up lol. I have to say Wow is the most fun i have at my computer any more, and with multiboxing 5 toons and working on a 10 toon multibox so i can have my own Raid group.

going to give WAR a chance, but have to see how well it multiboxes, cause imo thats only way to play anymore :D
Tathar WIP*Q9550*Gigabyte EP45-UD3P*OCZ Reaper PC-8500 4gbX2*OCZ Vertex 120gb*WD 1TB WD1001FALS*BFG GTX275*
Old August 30, 2008, 11:39 AM
Rookie

I was a huge fan of daoc, even with its clunky slow pvp it still beats wow in terms of design and concept.

That being said Ive become somewhat spoiled with the wow animations and attention to detail and hope I can handle warhammers. It seems like a step down design/animation wise from wow but maybe the pvp will make up for it since wow's sucks so bad.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
MVP

I played a Disciple of Khaine (DoK) till rank 6 last night. It was pretty fun though DoK is quite challenging to play in RvR. Will try a different class after I hit rank 8.

It's a pretty fun game to play so far, though it still contains minor bugs. WoW still wins in user-friendliness, but if you've planed another MMO, it shouldn't be hard to adjust to this one.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
MVP
F@H

All i can say is its beta, most betas are a trial and era, and will suck and hopefully player imput will help them flesh out the probs... unlike SWG WHICH IS A LIVE BETA THAT U PAY FOR. sucks. crosses fingers ..