Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2008, 08:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Doom 4

Some interesting news today about Doom4.

Quakecon: Doom 4 To Use 3X The Horsepower Of Rage, Run At 30 FPS

"John Carmack revealed at the opening day of QuakeCon today that "the next Doom", which we'll just call Doom 4 for now, will surpass the already announced Rage, running on id Tech 5, in visual quality. "The next DOOM game will look like it's built on another engine, as it uses three times the horsepower," Carmack said, according to a 1UP report.
That visual fidelity will come at a price though, as Carmack says that Doom 4 will run at 30 frames per second, compared to Rage's 60 frames per second. The only other details provided by Carmack on Doom 4 was that the game would feature "guns, blood, demons, and gibs." Should've sent a poet..."

I cant wait to see what it looks like!
Old July 31, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Doom 4 looks promising-if they get rid of the linear play and spawning baddies. Was fine for Doom 3 but time to move along. Plus they better have a good story ready and not just pull a Crysis alien ship and big boss routine half way through. Anyway this looks like a game that will render any recent purchases obsolete. Hopefully ATI cards will be better optimized than in Crysis.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 31, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

To be honest and I'm sure I'll get the heat for that, I hated Doom 3 ! I was very disappointed with the game in general not to mention the game environment is VERY dark and pitch black - most of the time requiring you to walk with a flashlight - very annoying, I hate those pitch black type of games, that's just me.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
To be honest and I'm sure I'll get the heat for that, I hated Doom 3 ! I was very disappointed with the game in general not to mention the game environment is VERY dark and pitch black - most of the time requiring you to walk with a flashlight - very annoying, I hate those pitch black type of games, that's just me.
I agree 110%

I thought Doom 3 got old fairly fast. It just seemed like to went into pitch black area after pitch black area and a monster/zombie/demon would pop out of somewhere even darker. Maybe once you got farther into the game it got better, but from what I played it was terrible.

Even though Doom 1 and 2 were pretty much the same thing, they seemed a lot more fun. Even to this day, I would still rather go back and beat Doom 1 or 2 than play Doom 3.
Old August 1, 2008, 12:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
Even though Doom 1 and 2 were pretty much the same thing
as System Shock, Half Life, Halo, FEAR, HL2, Halo2, BioShock and a slew of other games. Like you say, the dungeon crawl paradigm is not the problem but the implementation was terribly restrictive. I fiddled around with the first jumpoutfrombehindyou ghoul until I found the exact pixel that triggered the spawn. Then I gave up because it was boring.

Going to hell is such an amazing opportunity for massive environments. Some real choice in the storyline would entice me. S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Assassin's Creed have moved more into this area but they are still missing key elements that I would really like to see.
Old August 1, 2008, 01:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well comparing to Half Life 2 I much prefered and enjoyed playing that over Doom 3 - Doom 3 was forgotten really quick, it was overhyped. The last thing I want is to spend money on a new graphic card only to play a game where most of the screen is pitch black and I'm walking with a flashlight with a small coverage of light, that annoys me ! Fighting monsters in pitch black where you only see part through your torch, yeah so much for showing off their engine - didn't even bother finishing the game - as to Doom 1 and 2, they weren't in pitch black environments as I recall - Given the wait and the hype Doom 3 was a major letdown - and am I optimistic about Doom 4, not really as some old habits never die ;-)
Old August 1, 2008, 06:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

Doom 3 was a breakthrough in the computer graphics, this is where we saw the birth of SLI and their 2 x 6800GT setups. It's was the game to benchmark with it's ultra settings. All I ask, is...

A GOD DAMN GUN WITH A FLASHLIGHT ON IT!
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old August 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Doom3 was the longest tech demo in history.
Old August 1, 2008, 03:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

A lot of Doom 3 hate in this topic.

I'd say that Crysis is far worse than Doom 3 was (Hardware and Story). Doom 3 was an excellent game though. Its not a guns blazing FPS and i think that's what most peoples problem is.

The hole darkness of the game was done really well, and the game did a good job of achieving what it was trying to do.

That said... Yea i hated not having a flash light on the end of my gun too. But it made the game that much better.

They tried to do something different with Doom franchise, it was a fresh change. But i don't think Doom 4 will be like that. I suspect its going to be more like the originals since so many people complained.
Old August 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Doom 4: Next Doom May Not Be a True Sequel

Would be interesting if its not a sequel.