Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
as System Shock, Half Life, Halo, FEAR, HL2, Halo2, BioShock and a slew of other games. Like you say, the dungeon crawl paradigm is not the problem but the implementation was terribly restrictive. I fiddled around with the first jumpoutfrombehindyou ghoul until I found the exact pixel that triggered the spawn. Then I gave up because it was boring.

Going to hell is such an amazing opportunity for massive environments. Some real choice in the storyline would entice me. S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Assassin's Creed have moved more into this area but they are still missing key elements that I would really like to see.
Excuse me? You cannot put System Shock into ANY of these games especially System Shock II. While they may have had FPS roots they also had a lot more crap involved in the game than any other FPS will ever have.
Old August 1, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chos3n View Post
A GOD DAMN GUN WITH A FLASHLIGHT ON IT!
I guess you haven't heard about the flashlight mod then.......
Old August 1, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post
A lot of Doom 3 hate in this topic.

I'd say that Crysis is far worse than Doom 3 was
At least most of crysis is outdoors, no flashlight to carry and walking in pitch black environments ;-)

Quote:
That said... Yea i hated not having a flash light on the end of my gun too. But it made the game that much better.
Well there was a mod for that - old news actually, but even with that the game, at least for me was annoying, I guess it's a matter of taste, I didn't like it because of the darkness !

Quote:
They tried to do something different with Doom franchise, it was a fresh change. But i don't think Doom 4 will be like that. I suspect its going to be more like the originals since so many people complained.
Maybe they should use the original maps and rebuild with new gfx engine :)
Old August 1, 2008, 11:34 PM
Allstar

hmm, I think you all are rehashing really really old news. Remember Spear of Destiny? What? Not old enough for you? return to Castle Wolfenstein?
Old August 1, 2008, 11:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
hmm, I think you all are rehashing really really old news. Remember Spear of Destiny? What? Not old enough for you? return to Castle Wolfenstein?
Catacombs Abyss 3d remember that?

Or what about Heretic or Hexen.
Old August 2, 2008, 04:24 AM
Allstar

Heretic, hexen I did, just never gotten to them back than. Back than, 1 game used to last me a year LoL. Unliketoday, I go tear up a new game every 2 months
Old August 2, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree Tazer, the Video game market is completely supersaturated with no original ideas. I haven't bought any new games recently because they all look THE SAME. I have stuck with DoD: S for 3 years. Best FPS I've played in a long time. CoD4 was good for the first couple months, but it became extremely slacking right after. TF2, same thing: it's so boring unless you have a bunch of friends playing or in a match/skirmish.

I still see myself playing the original Dooms on the zDoom engine from time to time. Stick it on ultra-violence and see how far you get :P . It is so much easier with KBM lol. I never got used to using the arrow keys.

/end of rant
Old August 2, 2008, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Catacombs Abyss 3d remember that?

Or what about Heretic or Hexen.
WOW ! the days of DOS games LOL ! Anybody here run QUAKE @ 640x480 in DOS ? I ran mine at 2fps~5fps, had to turn it down to 320x200 !
Old August 2, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The original Doom was so much fun to sit around our respective pads and log on to each others machine using Dos and a Dial-up connection. Then co-op and drink beer and telephone each other. We've come a long way baby!

About Doom 4 - they are not going to have any digital download method. I don't buy any games now unless they are available digitally.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old August 2, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
The original Doom was so much fun to sit around our respective pads and log on to each others machine using Dos and a Dial-up connection. Then co-op and drink beer and telephone each other. We've come a long way baby!

About Doom 4 - they are not going to have any digital download method. I don't buy any games now unless they are available digitally.
Considering a few games have been released EARLY due to this.. its a great move on their behalf.