Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

View Poll Results: How much content do you want to see in Hardware Performance Reviews?
Needs More Content 3 13.64%
Needs Less Content 2 9.09%
Just Right 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Yup - Fraps 2.9.4 as well as the in game FPS monitor.
While the in game does not record it's numbers, it was a good way to ensure that fraps was reporting correctly.

Every time I checked the numbers that fraps was giving lined up perfectly with what was being output.
Old July 17, 2008, 11:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I know it is probably not in the budget but I would really like to see how much better the game would run on this week's ultimate gaming rig.
Old July 17, 2008, 02:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

As an owner of a MMORG gaming server I thought this was a fantastic review. I frequently get complaints by people not aware of the intrinsic details of running a MMORG
Server latency, bad routing, location, hardware, graphics, and number of players/items/textures in any given location have a huge impact on lag ingame.
I thought you had a well rounded representation of performance values.

My only critique would be of Funcom themselves as they did not wait until they had the game dialled in before release. Yes there was huge pressure to release it but I beta tested it and couldn't even get a reply to a query regardless of how many times I submitted it.
As you correctly pointed out they do not have their "eye candy" DX10 patch released yet which will make a massive difference and they do not have their pvp system enhanced yet.
The biggest issue for any MMORG is how do 1-2-3 or even 400+ players affect frame rates in seige or massive battle against each other or epic monsters. If I am running what would be considered a high end system and lag out while chasing down an archer I am dead, pissed off and unlikely to continue playing if the problem isn't resolved

Unfortunately crap MMORG's like WoW are the more popular option as the graphics are cartoonish, easily replicated and the game engine is not hardware intensive. It also attracts more immature players as the more mature players are looking for that graphic wonderland and specialized character development.
That said it is an evolution in gameplay so at least they are attempting to advance instead of pumping out the same old shiznit to rake in cash