Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

View Poll Results: How much content do you want to see in Hardware Performance Reviews?
Needs More Content 3 13.64%
Needs Less Content 2 9.09%
Just Right 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2008, 10:21 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Whether you use a 32bit or 64bit OS the same stuff happens.

From what I've heard and what I've read AoC is large address aware which means it will use more than 2gb of memory when using the game and if you've ever watched your memory usage with the game you can see it can go up QUITE high.

Just make sure when playing this game to have a good gpu and lots of system memory.
Memory use on his computer never comes close to 2 GB ...

We're talking ~10 fps on the LOWEST settings @ 800x600 here ... and he doesn't appear to be the only one given the number of complaints on their forums ... and it seems to be limited only to those running and HD 3800 series GPU and a 32-bit OS (some have upgraded to Vista x64 with a large amount of success from what I've read) ...

I just wanted to see if our tester here could recreate the issue many are having as it might light a fire under their asses to get this fixed if it's published on a well-known tech review site ...

Is Funcom going to help ATI users? - Age of Conan Forums

Many more like it ^^^

Last edited by Jmac; July 16, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old July 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Just to reply/give feedback on a few comments as well as pose another question.

I myself would have loved to see how performance scaled with both SLI and/or crossfire, I would say it is almost a necessity. Unfortunately at the time we did not have the resources to do this. Same with the 4* and GTX*, at the time the game was actually tested, the cards weren't released. The big debuts all happened after everything was said and done :( - However it is definitely going to be included in future reviews.

The 45nm chips are a great idea - As technology progresses we want to try and keep the hardware relatively up to date.

We definitely want to keep it going for major releases - Whether past games will get a do over remains to be seen :P

One thing I wanted to add, but due to time constraints couldn't, was the differences between XP and Vista with or without SP1, I think it would mesh great with the ram comparison - Thoughts?

We will add a larger array of hardware options, but do we decrease on explainations? Have it more of a chart style or is the review layout entertaining?
Old July 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

There are known problems with ATI cards and AoC at this time and they are looking into them.
Old July 16, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

In regards to our 64bit question.
I did test on XP 32bit with our minimum requirements, but yes as noted, everything else was 64bit.

I do still have an installation around that has XP32bit with all the files on it. I should have a chance tommorow to quickly test it out and see if there is a larger difference between 64bit and 32bit os's
Old July 16, 2008, 10:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
I did test on XP 32bit with our minimum requirements, but yes as noted, everything else was 64bit.

I do still have an installation around that has XP32bit with all the files on it. I should have a chance tommorow to quickly test it out and see if there is a larger difference between 64bit and 32bit os's
That would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 16, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post

You will probably find you'll get very minimal difference as AoC isn't coded for 64bit and only 32bit which leaves it to the 2gb address space problem.
Old July 17, 2008, 06:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Without a doubt we will be expanding the testing in the future with more hardware.

On a side note I have to take a stance against the SP1 / SP2 vs non-patched Windows. At this time all Vista OEM and retail disks will be shipping with SP1 and the same goes for XP with SP1. So, I think it would be a moot point to test with anything but the latest Service Pack installed.
Old July 17, 2008, 06:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Without a doubt we will be expanding the testing in the future with more hardware.

On a side note I have to take a stance against the SP1 / SP2 vs non-patched Windows. At this time all Vista OEM and retail disks will be shipping with SP1 and the same goes for XP with SP1. So, I think it would be a moot point to test with anything but the latest Service Pack installed.
Absolutely.
Old July 17, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Great stuff, the quad results really surprised me! Im sure it's in there somewhere but what what are you using to test FPS?

The only thing extra I would like to see is CF/SLI performance. Supposedly the game does not support this but I am curious to see if enabling CF does more harm than good.
Old July 17, 2008, 08:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Great stuff, the quad results really surprised me! Im sure it's in there somewhere but what what are you using to test FPS?
Latest version of FRAPS